• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can someone help with 23andme data?

Hello everyone,

I am very new to all this, and despite all the reading that I've done over the past weeks on this forum and others, I'm having a hard time understanding what my results/mutations mean, and what steps I should follow to address these mutations/how to start supplementing...

I'm a 32 y.o female, and I have a 9 month old.

My 23andme data (via Genetic Genie) is as follows (also attached):

COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+

COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+

COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-

VDR Bsm rs1544410 CC -/-

VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+

MAO A R297R rs6323 TT +/+

ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-

MTHFR C677T rs1801133 GG -/-

MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-

MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GG +/+

MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+

MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-

MTRR A664A rs1802059 GG -/-

BHMT-02 rs567754 CC -/-

BHMT-08 rs651852 CC -/-

AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-

AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-

CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-

CBS A360A rs1801181 AA +/+

For general health while I continue nursing, I'm supplementing with:

-Thorne Basic Nutrients 3 - https://www.thorne.com/products/oncology-support/dp/basic-nutrients-iii-without-copper-and-iron

-Viva Labs Krill Oil - http://vivalabs.com/products/krill-oil

-Jarrow Formulas Pterostilbene - http://www.jarrow.com/product/564/Pterostilbene

-Pure Encapsulations Magensium Glycinate (only at night) - http://www.pureencapsulations.com/magnesium-glycinate.html

I hope some of you can help me, I want to be healthy for my son.

-R

ps @Valentijn @caledonia @Freddd

you all are incredibly knowledgeable, and hoping maybe you could have a look at this, or point me in the right direction... Very grateful for your time and for what you guys are doing for so many members of this forum

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 8.45.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 8.45.32 PM.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 16
@Vlada thanks for your reply!

I'd like to add that I don't have CFS, or any other diagnosis by that matter. I did my DNA test only for prevention. I don't have any medical conditions at the moment.

Thanks again

-R

Last edited by a moderator:

xrayspex

hey--I had 23andMe testing done 2-3 years ago or so--whenever it was first offered--I haven't used it much but I just want to my account at the website to look for data that resembles rosaml's as I have not see my info offered in that form when I look at the site---can anyone please explain to me how to find that? (ie COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+)

thanks

xrayspex

oh I just called them....I guess older customers from several years ago are being "transitioned" and don't have access to all the genetic info in same way as new ones....anyone know how long the "transition" takes?

Paralee

xrayspex, 23andme are waiting to do the v3 chip. They started transitioning on the v4 I guess. Did you have your health reports with your raw data, etc.? Things are a chronic mess there right now and everyone is really raising heck, but it will eventually transfer you over. It is an experience, and the health info isn't that great.

leela

oh I just called them....I guess older customers from several years ago are being "transitioned" and don't have access to all the genetic info in same way as new ones....anyone know how long the "transition" takes?
@xrayspex, the info you are asking about is not something 23&me has ever offered. You have to go to your 23&me account, export your raw data, then upload your raw data at geneticgenie.org which is made by a patient and is on a donation basis. He offers both a methylation panel and a detox panel.

Another excellent place to upload your raw data is https://www.promethease.com/, I think it costs $5 and is very extensive, with links to SNPedia and info regarding the SNPs.

Another good place to get a report is https://mthfrsupport.com which is $20 or $30 and creates a report broken down into methylation, detox, mitochondrial function, cleft palate and some other stuff.

Yasko has a free one too which spits out an overwhelming array of possible supplements to sell you related to your mutations, but also offers brief explanations of what each SNP might mean.

xrayspex

hey thanks Leela, good to know
the first problem is tho I don't think that my raw data is even available to me right now, 23andMe said they are working on getting it available for their previous clients-they told me today someone would be contacting me soon to help expedite it

after I have it I will try one of those sites you mention

but right now I am in some "old" 23andMe site where they organized it in way to explain things to us like what meds we are sensitive to and what illnesses vulnerable to

I hope I am making sense, I don't know, have some neanderthal in me I found out so maybe that explains the brain fog :)

the first problem is tho I don't think that my raw data is even available to me right now, 23andMe said they are working on getting it available for their previous clients-they told me today someone would be contacting me soon to help expedite it
I think there's a lot of confusion going on. You need your raw data, which is at https://www.23andme.com/you/download/ . Then you can take it to geneticgenie.org to get an interpretation based on Yasko's bullshit, if you really want to.

You can also look up your individual SNPs or genes at https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/

23andMe probably doesn't know what you're talking about, and assumed your question related to their health interpretations (which the FDA halted).

xrayspex

thanks Valentijn--that works--I haven't paid much attention to my 23andMe data after I first looked at it--for some reason i was a bit underwhelmed with it, there wasn't anything in there that blew me away with explanations and it didn't seem to explain a lot of the problems I have had the 2nd half of my adult life (post age 30) but that might mean that environmental insults have played a big part, chemical/bugwise/physically, in my issues--but that said there is some info in there that fits and is interesting

you are righ--I don''t think we knew what we were talking about when I spoke with 23andMe support lol, it reminded me of when I called ebay for support--both cases I felt that our different accents were a barrier to communication for us and wasn't confident at the end of conversation we were on same page

I do recall hearing that I was in the group of people who had been given comprehensive health interpretations at 23andMe before the government stepped in, I don't know if we got grandfathered into keeping it or if some of it was taken away, I have just never been on top of using that site

Last edited:

leela

@xrayspex I am an older 23&me client and the raw data is available under the account menu--which has changed since the early days.

:nerd:In the upper right corner of the page is your account name. Click it for a dropdown menu that offers "browse raw data".
When you click that, a "download" button appears slightly below that is also clickable. Clicking it brings you to some legal BS and a place to reenter your password.
That should do it.
Now you can easily upload it to any of the above mentioned programs that convert it to something meaningful.

The FDA thing never removed the raw data--that's what you paid for--it just temporarily caused them to cease interpreting it in terms of health-related info. The raw data itself is completely meaningless to the average person.

Paralee

I think there's a lot of confusion going on. You need your raw data, which is at https://www.23andme.com/you/download/ . Then you can take it to geneticgenie.org to get an interpretation based on Yasko's bullshit, if you really want to.

You can also look up your individual SNPs or genes at https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/

23andMe probably doesn't know what you're talking about, and assumed your question related to their health interpretations (which the FDA halted).

Valentijin, 23andme has got a new kind of "health" report in their new website, if you want to call it that.A lot of it is just assumptions from other people's genetic make-up. May I ask why that CBS snp won't cause problems? I've been confused about that one.Thanks, Paralee
Oops...Edit...Do you think Promethease is a good one to use? I've tried several and I'm getting conflicting reports.

May I ask why that CBS snp won't cause problems?
  • Because there is no research showing that it ever causes any problems at all.
  • Because it is a synonymous allele in a protein-coding region of the gene, meaning it isn't regulatory and it doesn't impact the structure of the resulting protein at all.
  • Because 8.7% of people in the world have AA ("+/+") and another 41.6% have A/G ("+/-"). There is absolutely no way that 3.7 billion people have the mythical "CBS problems".
  • Because Yasko has no scientific basis for her claims.

Paralee

• Because there is no research showing that it ever causes any problems at all.
  • Because it is a synonymous allele in a protein-coding region of the gene, meaning it isn't regulatory and it doesn't impact the structure of the resulting protein at all.
  • Because 8.7% of people in the world have AA ("+/+") and another 41.6% have A/G ("+/-"). There is absolutely no way that 3.7 billion people have the mythical "CBS problems".
  • Because Yasko has no scientific basis for her claims.
Thank you, I haven't studied genetics since the late sixties, so I'm a little behind....no actually I'm in preschool.Mayybe daycare.

Thank you, I haven't studied genetics since the late sixties, so I'm a little behind....no actually I'm in preschool.Mayybe daycare.
Coursera has some great intro courses online for free. They were hugely helpful for me, and most aren't too time-intensive.

Oci

@Valentijn Many thanks, Valentijn, for all your very informative posts and your voice of reason! I love the way you poke holes in so many of the popularized and commercialized views re the snps. I am left wondering if there is any real value in having the 23andme testing done especially since the test only deals with a small percentage of the whole genome.
I have had the 23andme test done and ran the results through Genetic Genie and Sterling's App some time ago. Lots of red and yellow snps but how much truth do I place in them? How many supplements should I take on this basis?
I am inclined at this point to stop most supps and focus on healthy food and lifestyle!

I have had the 23andme test done and ran the results through Genetic Genie and Sterling's App some time ago. Lots of red and yellow snps but how much truth do I place in them? How many supplements should I take on this basis?
I wouldn't use them as a basis for deciding on a treatment. Too many are incorrectly flagged, and the only way to sort it out is by reading the research about those SNPs.

Oci

I wouldn't use them as a basis for deciding on a treatment. Too many are incorrectly flagged, and the only way to sort it out is by reading the research about those SNPs.
I suppose this means going directly to PubMed type research and not looking at GG or Yasko or Nutrahacker or Sterling's App or Promethease etc? Are there any sites that have most of the info correct? I'm looking for shortcuts!
Are you still collecting data and testing for rare snps?
Thanks again!

I suppose this means going directly to PubMed type research and not looking at GG or Yasko or Nutrahacker or Sterling's App or Promethease etc?
I suggest dbSNP or google scholar. But SNPedia can be easier to use to get a list of relevant studies - though I wouldn't trust their interpretations of the studies.
Are there any sites that have most of the info correct?
None that I know of.
Are you still collecting data and testing for rare snps?
Yup. And the rare SNP program just got updated to include gene names, missense mutations, and pathogenic status. You can download the main program at https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ and the ten_percent.zip and remarks.zip files to get the extra data, if you put them in the same directory with the other files for the program.