• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can someone help me 23andme / GeneticGene

Can anyone help me with this and what to do ? I've had a lot of health problems over the last few years. I'm not sure what to do. I've bolded the homozygous +/+, and heterozygous. I'm assuming that homozygous -/- is fine? Nutrition support, main areas of concern? Thanks a million.

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result

COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+

COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-

VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+
VDR Taq rs731236 GG -/-

MAO A R297R rs6323 T +/+
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 AG +/-

MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AA +/+
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT -/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AG +/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AG +/-

BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CC -/-

AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-
AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-

CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AA +/+

Critterina

With +/+ in two COMTs and the MAO, I think you're probably in the category of those who need to "start low and go slow". So when it comes to taking supplements, the method of crushing a tablet or opening a capsule, licking a toothpick and dragging it through, and that being your starting does, may be for you. You can increase the dose as quickly as you feel comfortable, but err on the side of caution.

That said, you have the MTHFR C677T +/+, which means that methylfolate is probably going to give you your biggest improvement.

But you also have the MTTR A66G at +/-, so B12 will also be your friend. If you can take methylB12 (methylcobalamin), great, but that might be risky. With your COMT and MAO, and the fact that you're +/-, not +/+ for this SNP, hydroxyB12 (hydroxycobalamin) might be a better place to start.

I wouldn't worry about the rest of it for now, unless you want to talk specifically about what health problems you've had and have now, or lab results. If you have uncontrolled gut issues, do speak up. As far as your SNPs go, this is what I see.

Best wishes for restored health!

Clinically i've had low B12.

Symptomatically I've had everything from anxiety, adhd, ocd, depression, ridiculously constant cracking joints (particularly left side), joint problems, pale skin, thin, some hunger issues (not eating enough), feeling very buzzed after workouts, racing thoughts.. very high excersize tolerance, maybe some social problems at times. Unexplained fatigue at times.

Medication wise i've had good and bad reactions to l-tyrosine. Good to cobalimin b12, good to SAMe mostly, good to NAC, and ok to a combo or methylfolate/mucuna pruriens. Not sure what else to say. Kind of extreme response at times in different ways to tyrosine, vitamin b12 (when deficient), SAMe, and NAC..

Last edited:

Critterina

Ok, so your neurotransmitter issues are usually genetically tied to MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT - you're -/-, though. And I would lump the post-workout stuff in with that. It doesn't change what you would do - supplement methylfolate.
If you're good with cobalamin, look to see what kind you used. If it was cyano, try hydroxy. If it was methyl, stick with that. You might look at the Rich Van K simplified methylation protocol (SMP). @caledonia has a lot of stuff in her signature...you can probably find it there.

caledonia

Just popping in so you can see my signature links. Check out the SNPs Interpretation Guide.

Another school of thought for people whose major problem is mental health is Bill Walsh. I just discovered this great Youtube video last night. Not everyone with mental health issues is going to do well with methylation.

Cool thanks, I wouldn't say mental health issues are severe at all, just at times hard to tone-down, no meds. From my experience my physical health and mental health seem to be very tied together, stress hits me in both areas.

Last edited:
Here's what i'm doing so far, last few days since post, please critique or add:

Morning:
400 mcg methyfolate
1000mg methylb12
Whole Food Multivitamin
2000mg Fish Oil
5000mg Vit D

Night:
50mg Zinc
250mg Magnesium

I plan on getting a comprehensive blood work done end of month to compare against previous panels. Let me know of any things you think I should get tested (its easy and free for me) considering my SNPs, my symptoms and what i'm doing.

Thanks guys. BTW that video posted is great.

FYI not sure if it matters at all, but I have a pure simian crease on both hands, so does my dad, and he has some of my symptoms/problems. Also family history of alcoholism on his side.

Last edited:
Hi guys, didn't get a response so i'll try again.

Given my SNPs/problems would you take NAC or SAMe ? (or both, or for that matter any other supplements then what i have listed?) Thank you!

Hi Guys. I was wondering if anyone would know why I get a strong reaction from the amino acid Tyrosine, even 500mg seems to give me a boost and to much a buzzy negative reaction. Why is this ? My SNPs ? Thanks.