• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can olive leaf extract inhibit cytochrome p450 and be incompatible with methylation?

gu3vara

I read about oleuropein and saw that it inhibits cytochrome p450, like many other drugs like most AD or herbs like st john wort.

I have some stubborn swollen lymph nodes on the left part of my jaw and near my ear. I show it to a dentist and it's not from a tooth abscess. I had a bad reaction to antibiotics since I have CFS and would prefer to try this olive leaf extract, starting very slow.

But I'm wondering about the inhibit of detox pathways, is it significant for this herb? With the methylation protocol, I know it's important to keep those pathways open.

Any thoughts?

Thx!

richvank

Hi, gu3vara.

Sorry to hear about the swollen lymph nodes. As I understand from others, it can be difficult to be sure that abscesses in the jaw are not involved. They apparently do not always show upon X rays.

The only contraindication I have found for olive leaf extract is that it can cause colic in a person who has gallstones, because it stimuates secretion of bile.

Best regards,

Rich