• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Methylation Supplements make you more Hypoglycemic??

Hi Fredd and Everyone.

I've just started on a multi-Vitamin that contains Methyl B12 and Quatrefolic and also P5P. It also contains vitamins and some important minerals. It def. gives me energy although it makes me agitated a bit when I take it but I can handle it.

What worries me is that I'm thinking could this supplement make me more Hypoglycemic?

I took my tempreature today before lunch and it was 35 degrees Centigrade! I hadn't eaten in a few hours but that's really low! I'm wondering if this could be due to the Metal B12 and the other Methylation supps?

New to all of this and really feel crappy ): Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

Freddd

Hi Fredd and Everyone.

I've just started on a multi-Vitamin that contains Methyl B12 and Quatrefolic and also P5P. It also contains vitamins and some important minerals. It def. gives me energy although it makes me agitated a bit when I take it but I can handle it.

What worries me is that I'm thinking could this supplement make me more Hypoglycemic?

I took my tempreature today before lunch and it was 35 degrees Centigrade! I hadn't eaten in a few hours but that's really low! I'm wondering if this could be due to the Metal B12 and the other Methylation supps?

New to all of this and really feel crappy ): Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

HI Chootik,

If it is 3 days or more after you started, it's much more likely to be low potassium and/or donut hole folate insufficiency. Increased b12 results in more burned fats for ATP production. I routinely take Chromium GTF and have for more than 30 years and many have found it helps smooth out blood sugar. Vitamin E affects blood sugar a bit. I have never heard where b12 affects blood sugar but every thing touched that changes energy perception can feel like blood sugar changes. When everything is going well a substantial proportion can feel euphoria, whether by comparison of feeling so absolutely lousy for decades or because euphoria turns on. I had just under 9 months of euphoria from the MeCbl and a huge amount of healing. When the euphoria was gone so was the healing. Then I managed to turn it on again with AdoCbl, L-carnitine fumarate, SAM-e, Zinc, and higher dose l-methylfolate and finally high dose MeCbl and AdoCbl penetrating the brain and brainstem. It as a great flag fro healing. By the time it faded I missed it.

Here are a lot of onset of healing symptoms.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..

IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

Thanks Freddd.

So if increased B12 burns fat and I don't have much fat then it could burn sugar for ATP?? Just wondering...

From the list you mentioned it doesn't seem Potassium related since there are no muscle issues... maybe Folate deficiency. I have cracking and dry skin a bit but around my mouth mostly.

What other reason could my tempreature be low aside from low sugar?

I def. think my system is off somewhere. I did the Organic Acid Test and that showed I had a lot of Oxalates and Candida and stuff. At this point, should I do the Methylation Pannel? What other tests would help us figure out what's going on.

By the way, my biggest issue right now is heart palpitations. I even get them with a full bladder and needless to say it's very annoying when I have to get up from sleep everynight with the palps! I'm really wanting to figure out what's going on? Can not detoxing and a broken Methylation Cycle cause symptoms like this?

Anyways thanks for your help Freddd. Been trying to figure this out for a few years and still no luck ):

Chootik

Freddd

Thanks Freddd.

So if increased B12 burns fat and I don't have much fat then it could burn sugar for ATP?? Just wondering...

From the list you mentioned it doesn't seem Potassium related since there are no muscle issues... maybe Folate deficiency. I have cracking and dry skin a bit but around my mouth mostly.

I def. think my system is off somewhere. I did the Organic Acid Test and that showed I had a lot of Oxalates and Candida and stuff. At this point, should I do the Methylation Pannel? What other tests would help us figure out what's going on.

By the way, my biggest issue right now is heart palpitations. I even get them with a full bladder and needless to say it's very annoying when I have to get up from sleep everynight with the palps! I'm really wanting to figure out what's going on? Can not detoxing and a broken Methylation Cycle cause symptoms like this?

Anyways thanks for your help Freddd. Been trying to figure this out for a few years and still no luck ):

Chootik

Hi Chootik,

I DON'T mean fat deposits on your body. I mean dietary fat to make ATP, the MAIN energy source in the body for just about everything.

Low AdoCbl, low MeCbl , low l-methylfolate and low l-carnitine,.

For me heart palpitations were the problem of not taking my b-complex twice a day, but once a day or not at all. And again, that was after starting the at least both b12s and methylfolate at 400mcg a day. And BOY did that make a difference.

outdamnspot

Has anyone else noticed a connection between Methyl-b12/methylation and hypoglycemia?

I've been battling the most awful sugar crashes imaginable for the past 3 weeks .. just total states of confusion, amnesia, fogginess etc. I wracked my brain and the only thing I've introduced which I haven't really used before is Methyl-b12 .. 1000-4000mg a day. Despite the sugar weirdness, I'd been noticing big boosts in intelligence and my sleep has never been better really, so I think I just didn't want to acknowledge it might be the B12 ..

I'll cut it out tomorrow and see what happens. I think I'll be relieved if I finally have an answer, but it's disappointing to lose the benefits .. Hydroxy was good too, but contributed to my insomnia if anything ..

PeterPositive

No, I would say quite the opposite. I tend to crave sugars significantly less and have less sugar crashes.

Do you also take a B complex to support all the Bs, or just the methyl-folate and methyl-B12?

cheers

outdamnspot

Logic seems to support the opposite, but I was starting to notice I would wake up okay and then ravenous hunger would set in as soon as I took my B12 (right after I got out of bed..).

I don't take Methyl-folate, or a complex .. just the B12.

cman89

Logic seems to support the opposite, but I was starting to notice I would wake up okay and then ravenous hunger would set in as soon as I took my B12 (right after I got out of bed..).

A lot of times, lack of supporting elements can mimic a blood sugar crash. Make sure that you have all B vitamins in place, plus mineral support. You will run out quickly if ramping up methylation.

PeterPositive

B12 can boost appetite. It's usually a "side effect" that subsides after a while. In my case it was welcome as I was underweight and needed a boost in that direction.

I second @cman89 suggestion, a basic b-complex would certainly help to get the most out of B vitamins. If there's a methylation issue folate is critical.

outdamnspot

A lot of times, lack of supporting elements can mimic a blood sugar crash. Make sure that you have all B vitamins in place, plus mineral support. You will run out quickly if ramping up methylation.

Interesting; do you mean mimic as in anxiety, palpitations etc., or the craving for sugar/carbs too? Because I've lived with some degree of hypoglycemia for most of my life, and it's that craving for food that sets it apart from regular anxiety attacks. That's definitely the feeling I get. I'll cut it out for now and see what happens (I do hope it's behind these crashes, whatever they might be) and maybe try it again when I have the support elements.

picante

@chootik, do you feel ravenously hungry? I agree with @outdamnspot -- this is the obvious indicator of low blood sugar. Not body temperature.

Low body temperature is often a sign of hypothyroidism. Are you taking any thyroid meds?

Which brand of multi is this? How much MeB12 is in it? Many brands have methyl B12 that is degraded, which means it has converted to hydroxycobalamin.

The agitation could be from some other ingredient. The low body temp could be from some other ingredient. It's going to be hard to assign causation if there are a lot of ingredients.