• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Methotrexate be used for ME?

I have just started taking Methotrexate for my eczema, I have just seen that there is some link to improving ME. So far I have taken one small dose and it has made me very tired, my energy levels have dipped a lot. Is there many studies to show it can help ME, because if the side effects continue and my energy levels don't pick up I am very unlikely to stay on this medication, unless it has a dramatic effect on my eczema

pattismith

Methotrexate has inflammatory and immunosupressive functions.

It can improve ME or make it worse, so you will have to pay attention to your feelings.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
I know Fluge and Mella patented Methotrexate for ME, but seem to remember they stopped looking into it due to side effects in pilot patients. @deleder2k

pattismith

Warning, the risk for toxicity is increased for MTHFR C677T polymorphism (especially when homozygous).

For MTHFR A1298C polymorphism, the risk is not clearly modifyed