• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Klonopin/Doxepin cause a candida flare-up?

I started clonazepam (.5mg) and Doxepin (4mg) about 10 days ago (I switched to Klonopin a couple of nights ago to see if it worked better than the clonazepam). I've started having a serious systemic candida yeast flareup in recent days and am wondering if either one of these drugs is the cause. My diet hasn't changed, and I've been on a sugar-free for years and the only fruit I eat are green apples occasionally. I've also been taking probiotics daily for years. I would normally not get a spontaneous yeast flare-up unless I was taking something (e.g., antibiotic) to cause it.

Has anyone else experienced a yeast flare-up while on these meds?

caledonia

Possibly. I was going through horrible Zoloft withdrawal and started taking clonazepam. Somewhere in there had yeast flare up (itchy rash on my toes which is doesn't respond to anti-fungals and gets worse with sweets in the diet). It's been at least 6 months off the clonazepam and I still have problems, so something has fundamentally changed/gotten worse.

taniaaust1

I dont know but I know that neither of those two drugs flared up my candida issues. (I usually have to take antifungals when I take antibiotics as Im prone to candida).

I'm starting to wonder if the burning/itching I'm feeling all over is some sort of herxeimer or detox reaction, rather than a candida flare-up. Has anyone else experienced this with these meds?