• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can I replace proteins with essential amino acids?

IreneF

Thanks @IreneF! Taste is not so much of a problem as long as the nutrtion is OK! Perhaps I can ferment protein rich veggies then?
I was looking at my container of miso, and one tablespoon (about the amount you'd use to make a cup of soup) has only 2 g of protein. You should be getting about 56 g of protein every day; that's 28 cups of soup, or 7 quarts. Not something I'd want to attempt; plus you'd need to consume something to complement the missing amino acids, such as grain.

You'd need to chow down less than two cups of natto, but that's still a lot of natto, something that most westerners can't stand.

Most foods have some protein, so you would't actually have to eat that much.

Can you eat dairy or eggs? Peas and peanuts are also good sources of protein. Bananas, while not high in protein, can make other foods easier to digest.

The aging process breaks down some of the tissues in meat, but aged meat is hard to find and expensive.

The kind of fermentation that vegetables undergo is probably not going to help, but naturally-fermented sauerkraut is supposed to be full of probiotics. My computer is having a little problem, so I can't get more info right now.

leela

have you tried taking digestive enzymes (esp protease) with protein meals?
are your proteins organic and free of chemicals/preservatives/hormones?
have you tried sprinkling yucca on your protein foods in case you have a SNP that causes ammonia buildup in your brain when you consume protein?

it might be good to supplement with free form amino acid capsules if you're unable to tolerate much high-protein food.
however, remember that there is protein in all foods, not just animal products.
quinoa, ground chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower sprouts (and sprouts in general) are all high in protein.
good luck and bon appetit!

optimist

Reporting in a bit late, as I was really tired for many days having the cold or something on top :thumbsup:

Thank you @IreneF and @leela! I am sort of managing to some extent now by eating minced chicken that I mash with a handblender, and then taking 9xBetaine HCL and 3 digestive enzmes specifically for proteins and fat. I add almost nothing else to the dish, and that way I can "handle" 250g of meat. The tormenting neuro reactions are minimal, but I still get muscle weakness and fatigue. 20g of L-Glutamin in the morning also seem to help. So, for the moment, I am a bit relieved :)

@leela: Do you think that ammonia could cause the neurological symptoms?

leela

Ammonia gives me extreme brain fog.
Have you tried some gentle liver cleansing or support?

optimist

No, not exactly... but I am pretty sure this is not about the liver. I feel pretty confident that I am struggling handling undigested or semi-digested proteins. But, I thank God that lately my gut seems to be healing a little, as my tolerance is improving :) I cherish progress!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Glad you're having some improvement.

Have you tried broth? I can take homemade (no storebought but others may be able to get away with this) chicken broth when I cannot take other foods.

I am hoping one day they will approve FMT for IBS and that this will fix a lot of food intolerance problems. Meantime we must muddle on as best we can.

optimist

Yes, I have tried broth :) Not sure if it helps anything though. What is FMT?

My doctor now is going to set me on a 45 days biofilm and SIBO cure, which I am hoping will help.

Day 1-45
Interfase pluss 2 capsules 3 times a day

Day 21-45
Uva ursi leaf 450mg, 2 capsules 2 times daily
Cats claw 500mg. 2 capsules 2 times daily
Berberine 400mg. 2 capsules 2 times daily
Caprylic acid 600mg. 2 capsules 2 times daily
Pau d'Arco 500mg. 2 capsules 2 times daily
Oregano 450mg. 2 capsules 2 times daily

That's 30 capsules a day. On top comes all other vitamins, minerals and other stuff... I might get close to 50 capsules a day, haha :)