• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can dysbiosis kill?

Just curious. My mental and physical symptoms seemed to start to accumulate around the time my ... BMs began smelling so bad they burned my eyes. Not exaggerating. Doesn't seem to matter much what I eat, and I haven't been able to correct with probiotics or garlic or anything like that.

At the time I assumed it was a coincidental part of the disease process. However, just now, I saw a bunch of posts from a while back about the hydrogen sulfide connection and several articles pointing out that H2S is neuro- and mitotoxic. It's metabolized in the liver, but I damaged my liver to a moderate extent from a combo of antifungal + beer, and have been very hepatic-drug sensitive since.

I've gone from a reasonably healthy 30 something to a poorly maintained 70 year old in a matter of months. I can't help but wonder if dysbiosis could take a person out. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hip

Clostridium difficile infection of the gut kills around 14,000 people in the US each year, but that is not dysbiosis.