• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can B vitamins deplete other nutrients? (cofactors)

Maybe this is the question I should have asked originally... Since I'm struggling so hard suddenly, and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with me. It's probably a really stupid question, but I need confirmation.

After making SO much progress with just individual Bs and then a B complex... I slowly regressed completely back to all my old symptoms... (migraines, stomach pains, liver soreness, bad kidney/lower back pain, dark infrequent urine, terrible digestion, insomnia, cold all the time, thyroid pains, low blood sugar, ammonia, sulfur/meat intolerance, and much more).

At first I thought it was the ammonia itself getting in the way of my supplement absorbtion, but I think that's just a symptom at this point of something else entirely... most likely my terrible kidney function. Since when my urination improves, so do my ammonia symptoms... I thought this was the other way around (and maybe it is, idk).

I think what happened was, once I rebuilt my B vitamins in my body (or treated my deficiencies rather), it started using up all the other cofactors for making glutathione, which my body is tremendously lacking in, and likely the cause of most of my symptoms.

So my question is... can taking only a (methylated) B complex, deplete other glutathione cofactors, if not also supplementing them? Even if one eats extremely healthy, with lots of vegetables? Using them all up to produce GSH (which it seemed like I was producing again for a while, then stopped completely).

For instance, I feel like my biggest deficiency right now is magnesium (or maybe it's really calcium? K2?)... which would explain why my anxiety and insomnia and inability to relax are worse than EVER, I think? And I always feel a 'little' bit better after I supplement decently large doses of it by itself, and "feel" like I'm producing GSH again... for a very short time. But still getting worse and worse overall... even with adding that in...

Last edited:
To put my thoughts into perspective... I've been trying some full multi vitamin-minerals, rather than the B complex (which I stopped completely). One makes me feel a little bit better, kind of, but isn't enough overall I guess (maybe need to give it more time). Which is this one here...

https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Nutrients-Multi-Nutrients-Comprehensive-Multi-Vitamin/dp/B000ZJS68O/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479348466&sr=1-4&keywords=multivitamin no copper

The other makes me feel a LOT better (seemingly GSH producing, better digestion, etc), briefly... very briefly, like 2-3 hours, then I feel awful (back to infrequent urination, kidney area and lower back pain, insomnia, etc). Which is this one here...

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Two-Tablets-Count/dp/B006299OYG

And the only conclusion that I can come to is, for instance, if I take the first one, one day, which provides a decent amount/ratio and good forms of both calcium and magnesium, with not too much D. Then I take the other the next day or so, with poor amounts and forms of cal/mag, and also has much higher levels of Bs, and D (and zinc, which I do need), possibly also quickly burning up whatever cal/mag I got from the first one, too fast?

But the first one also contains copper (which I may actually need in small ratio to zinc, despite being likely copper toxic), but the second contains potassium iodine, and my thyroid is already a (underactive) mess. As well as ALA which I kind of need to avoid...

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I'm also getting dramatically worse for some reason, feeling like something is MISSING, or deficient. And I feel like I'm REALLY close to recovery... if I can just figure this balancing thing out and stick with it...

The LEF Two-Per-Day, whether tablets or capsules, seems to have given several members problems.

LEF Multivitamin making me feel bad - genetic genie results

OH! that's very interesting, thank you... I wonder what it is about this one though?

I feel like if I could figure out exactly WHY the Vital Nutrients one works better overall (milder but longer lasting benefit), and this LifeExtension one only gives me a quick boost then much worse/crash. I'd be in much much better shape, with figuring out how to proceed and get well...

Like what's so different about the ingredients and their forms and values I wonder? Which of the specific nutrients, or maybe it's several, that I should focus on? I don't know... sigh.

I was concerned too, that maybe it was the form of iodine... since the capsule one uses potassium iodine (bad), and the tablet uses iodine from kelp (good). But now I guess I don't have to waste my time there...

I should mention too, that I have constant tension in my neck and headache, along with the kidney/back/infrequent urination problems and my anxiety, insomnia, etc... and when one of these symptoms goes away, they usually all do, or at least most of them...

Those all sound like magnesium deficiency symptoms, right? Or is there anything else that can cause them?

EDIT: I also seem to be massively lacking in hormones, particularly melatonin, whenever the above symptoms occur, and likewise get them back whenever they go away... but it seems this is far more likely an effect, rather than a cause.

And I have a zinc/copper imbalance, without a doubt, which I'm moderately supplementing (as best as I can atm), but I don't think this is the cause of the above symptoms either.

Last edited: