• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Anyone in the U.S. Tell Me What a Bone Density Scan Costs

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I recently had a bone density scan (and have osteoporosis). I have no insurance, so have to pay for it myself. I am afraid that the bill the hospital sent me is for the ‘list price’ that almost no pays. If I knew what insurance companies typically pay, I would be in be better position to negotiate a price reduction. Can anyone provide that information?

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Our local hospital has assistance for those who have no insurance or financial hardship for any copay.
I would ask to speak to a financial counselor at the business office of the hospital/clinic you had it done.
They may be able to charge you on a sliding scale basis.

Little Bluestem

I have saving I could pay it out of, but some day I hope to do some ME treatment with that savings. Furthermore, I don't like the idea of paying over twice what some people do. The bill I got was for over $300.

Asklipia

Bone density scans are a scam.
They may reveal the density of the scanned area but give no clue to the quality of the bone. They are a way to push for more alendronate sodium type drugs. When you take them, your bones look whiter on the scan and everybody is happy. The truth is whiter may mean more calcium in the area but this does not mean that the structure of the "reinforced" bone is as it should be. It does mean that the bone is now more brittle though.
Lots of my friends had these scans, were told everything was getting better because the scans said so, and then had multiple nasty fractures.
It is part of a whole system of "treating" osteoporosis.
Save your money for something else!
Lots of good wishes,
Asklipia

Little Bluestem

The scan report says “Statistically 68% of repeat scans fall within 1 SD”. (SD is Standard Deviation). That is not overwhelming consistency. None-the-less, having a bone density 1 SD less than is average for my gender, age, and ethnicity is disheartening. I am a small person with very small bones, so am at a higher risk for bone fracture without osteoporosis. My mother’s family is long lived. I could live 30 - 40 more years (if the ME doesn’t get me). I’d just as soon not have to deal with osteoporosis over that long of a time frame. On a more positive note, I ate well and was active growing up, so I am going to assume that I have good bone structure.

Actually, my spine scan was right on the osteopenia/osteoporosis border. My hips were in the lower part of the osteopenia range. I suppose my doctor chose a diagnosis of osteoporosis because of my small bone size and the low accuracy of the scan (and to encourage me to take the pills). She did not put me on any drug. She recommended a supplement specifically for osteoporosis. I was surprised that it contains only 250 mg/day of calcium. This is well below the conventional 1000 to 1500 mg/day.