• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can anyone help me interpret Genova Metabolic Analysis Profile?

Thanks Leo,

I'll get started with the supplements you suggested and also see if I can get my blood sugar tested.

Started on the burp test - didn't burp for 20 mins, so think I might have low stomach acid!

To answer your question about the Giardia, I'm not convinced it has been cleared up. I'm in England too, may have picked it up from Canada as long as 7 years ago. Also seems to have allowed other bugs to colonise my duodenum according to my CDSA. I need to get retested, but that's another £200!

You mentioned in a previous post that I should have a small amount if carbs at breakfast and between meals, but not enough to spike my blood sugar. As I'm grain free, what would you recommend for breakfast and for snacks?

Thanks

Hi jam,
"You mentioned one course of Metronidazole not being enough. We raised that with the doctor, but he said it was fine."
Doctors are not prepared to treat infections like that especially chronic ones. As said before Metronidazole is "treatment of choice" not the very effective one. Berberine should help you the same with grapeseed extract.
But if its chronic and "well established " would be better if can repeat the treatment after 2-3 weeks. When feel improper conditions giardia turns into chist in matter of 12-14 hours (like overnight). Alkaline environment helps it.

As told you before maybe something else weakened your system or even chronic giardia weakened your system and adrenals (possible) and that lead to low sigA and Dhea. Plus chronic GI infection lead to pancreatic insufficiency and bile insufficiency >> more bacterial infections in the bowels / colon due to undigested carbs, fat, proteins. been there.

For me it helped: 1 mashed garlic clove with meals for one week, goldenseal (berberine) along with with acidophilus (a clean one with no FOS, GOS or other extra fancy ingridients - hard to find in UK). I'm not cured we have it in the water supply of the city plus I had an underlying H.pylori infection that weakened the system. Both are very nasty.

Best of luck

Thanks AkeBono, that's really helpful. I found that eating crushed garlic made me feel really rough in my stomach as soon as I swallowed it, so I stopped using that. I'm taking Acidophilus, Berberine and Garlic tablets. I'll try to push for another, longer course of antibiotics to try to get rid of it. Thanks

maybe try mashed garlic mixed with water not crashed. and with food.
ive read a study somewhere 3-4 years ago regarding garlic extract and giardia.
oh, just remembered: propolis helps to keep it in check.

make sure you dont have other stuff in the stomach. you should be able to tolerate garlic if youre healthy :)
re-antibiotics ive read also it cant wipe out the rest of the good flora and create more space for giardia like infections. make sense.
dont forget clean acidophilus no fos gos maltodextrine...

there is also an idea that restricting the carbs too much not a good idea also - could turn giardia trozophites into chists? maybe just an idea