• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can any Nova patients tell me what to expect?

Hi there.
I live in Central Florida. I have been on a waiting list for the past two years to become a patient of Nova. Surprising I received a call last April, and I was able to schedule an appointment for next Tuesday.
I was a patient of Doctor Lerner (I had to travel to Michigan to see him), and since his death I have seen several doctors without much success.
I originally had mono due to Epstein-barr and CMV. Afterwards, Doctor Lerner found out I had lyme disease.

The past month my health has deteriorated quite dramatically, and it is now very difficult for me to take care of my house. Since since 2-3 days ago, I have had fevers, joint paints, stomach upsets, and swollen tonsils.

Has anyone had improvements at NOVA? If you are a patient, I would sincerely appreciate if you could let me know if you have improved under their care as I have heard a lot of good things about them.

Thank you
Roberto

Seven7

Seven
I have seen great progress from inmune system perspective (not being as reactive) not so much reactivations of infections.... It has taken as long as I was sick for me to see a difference (5y or so).
Energy is separate they will play with different supplements,
OI you will need a separate doctor for that.

Advice: to take advantage of them, is best to address things that are treatable and addressable, they will ask you to address your 3 worst symptoms. I made the mistake to say Fatigue, and stuff like that.
Better sample: Inability to stay sleep (or fall sleep) if you address that, the fatigue will improve. instead of saying sleep issue.
Another thing: Inability to be upright (this will trigger a test for OI and a tilt table test...)
The smarter you name your symptoms, and the treatable ones first, the better results you will have.

I have seen great progress from inmune system perspective (not being as reactive) not so much reactivations of infections.... It has taken as long as I was sick for me to see a difference (5y or so).
Energy is separate they will play with different supplements,
OI you will need a separate doctor for that.

Advice: to take advantage of them, is best to address things that are treatable and addressable, they will ask you to address your 3 worst symptoms. I made the mistake to say Fatigue, and stuff like that.
Better sample: Inability to stay sleep (or fall sleep) if you address that, the fatigue will improve. instead of saying sleep issue.
Another thing: Inability to be upright (this will trigger a test for OI and a tilt table test...)
The smarter you name your symptoms, and the treatable ones first, the better results you will have.

Thank you for replying so quickly! It really makes a difference to have such a wonderful community. I am thrilled to hear that you have improved under their care.

Actually, I think that I might have strep throat since Tuesday.

If I can get the way I was a couple months ago, I would be thrilled. As I was able to volunteer an hour a week, take care of the house, and work on my garden by little bits.

I will definitely take your advice. I will say inability to stay asleep, stomach pains after eating, and I have to think of the third one.

May I ask, do you travel far to the institute? I heard that people travel from all over the country to see them. I guess I am fortunate it is only 3-4 hr drive for me.

Seven7

Seven
Thank you for replying so quickly! It really makes a difference to have such a wonderful community. I am thrilled to hear that you have improved under their care.

Actually, I think that I might have strep throat since Tuesday.

If I can get the way I was a couple months ago, I would be thrilled. As I was able to volunteer an hour a week, take care of the house, and work on my garden by little bits.

I will definitely take your advice. I will say inability to stay asleep, stomach pains after eating, and I have to think of the third one.

May I ask, do you travel far to the institute? I heard that people travel from all over the country to see them. I guess I am fortunate it is only 3-4 hr drive for me.
2 planes later! Is a rough trip for me.
The immunological tests help for doctor to take me seriously. So for that is all worth it.