• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can antivirals work where other avenues (hormones, supplements etc.) have failed?

outdamnspot

Well, I did end up seeing that GP and he said that I most likely have Lyme or one of the co-infections; he's arranged blood testing, but the results will take 2 weeks. The thing is, he kinda got into trouble for practicing because of the debate over Lyme's existence in Australia .. and so he isn't actually allowed to treat me. All of his cases are referred on to another doctor (trained as a GP and oncologist) who I saw today. This doctor is far more rigorous. There were some blood abnormalities -- I am anemic (despite a high-protein diet), and also had very high morning Cortisol/ACTH -- which (taking into account all my other symptoms) he said could either be caused by a) a neuroendocrine tumor, which he wants to rule out, or b) something like Lyme. Regarding the possibility of Lyme, he runs all cases by a German Lyme doctor via teleconference before considering treatment.

When I look through the list of Lyme/co-infection symptoms, a lot are eerily similar to what I experience .. especially all the weird neuro stuff like the rocking sensations, sinking when walking, balance problems etc. and so I would love to believe it's my answer. Yet I am missing prominent symptoms like joint-pain, the rash, and also sweats (I am actually freezing all the time, and am much less likely to sweat in general). The original doctor said I could have contracted something while cat-sitting for a friend several times over the year before I got sick, or spending time at another house where I was frequently bitten by mosquitoes over summer.

The neuro symptoms like balance problems aren't unique to Lyme/co-infections, right? Do they occur in post-viral CFS cases as well? I mean, I have even read about these symptoms occurring in hypothyroidism .. so maybe there is a shared substrate connected to the way all three things screw with Vit D, B12, iron metabolism ..?

I asked him what the next step would be if I didn't have a tumor and he didn't believe I had Lyme, and he said maybe viral antibody testing (which is expensive) .. though really, how I can keep going on like this .. week after week without answers.. I am not sure. It is not just the fatigue, which I could deal with to an extent. It's the constant fight/flight-activation and intense psychological distress.

Hotch

Hotch
So sorry you are suffering. I hope you get some answers and hope soon! Yes- these symptoms do occur in post viral CFS as well as the bacterias (co-infections) and Lyme. I have been suffering (Yes, suffering!) from CFS for over 30 years. I saw an endochronologist from 2002-2008. I am in Sydney, Australia. My endochronologist is great and I am back with them again but also see another doctor as my endochronologist doesn't test for viral/ bacterias etc. the two doctors work together and send test results to each other. My new doc first sent me for many tests that are covered by Medicare, this included viral tests. He said even though they are not very sensitive and can easily give false negative results, if anything does come up positive then I will not need to pay for the more expensive sensitive test for that. EBV and HHV6 were positive. So maybe you could ask your doc for these first if money is tight. Some people on this forum have had some help from antivirals and antibiotics, while some don't get any benefits even though they may have come up pos for the same viruses/bacterias. I see my new doc on Monday again and I am hoping to try Valcyte. We will see what he says. Cheers to you fellow Aussie