• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can antibiotics/herxing be dangerous?

outdamnspot

Before blaming symptoms on a reaction to die-off, it's a good idea to fully look into whether such a reaction is known to exist for that infection. Otherwise we risk ignoring serious side-effects which should be avoided.

How do we do this? I have tried researching whether Streptococcus or Prevotella produce a die-off reaction, but can't find any information.

If it fits the strict definition of a Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, it would support the suggestion that there was/is an infection by a spirochete. Some people recommend trying doxycycline or a similar Lyme-killing antibiotic to determine if there is a Lyme infection, due to the widespread inaccuracies of standard Lyme tests.

Do Flagyl or Ampicillin kill Lyme & co?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Flagyl is also a cyst buster so can cause quite nasty herxes in people with Lyme.

outdamnspot

My CFS doctor said that the Richard Horowitz questionnaire can apply to multi-systemic bacterial infection (i.e. not just Lyme). Is it possible that a gut bacterial infection can act in such a manner?