• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

call for papers in special XMRV issue of "Advances in Virology" ...

voner

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/si/xmlv.html

"The main focus of this special issue is presenting critical research toward development and standardization of sensitive assays for the detection of XMRV and related MLVs, understanding virus biology, and investigating virus transmission, with the important goals of investigating the risk of human infections and determining any disease associations"

.......publication about a year from now....

////////
Manuscript Due February 1, 2011
First Round of Reviews May 1, 2011
Publication Date August 1, 2011

//////

Lead Guest Editor

Arifa S. Khan, Laboratory of Retroviruses, Center for Biologics Research and Review, Food and Drug Administration, 8800 Rockville Pike, HFM-454, Building 29B, room 4NN10, Bethesda, ME, USA
Guest Editors

Myra McClure, Jefferiss Research Trust Laboratories, Wright-Fleming Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St. Mary's Campus, Norfolk Place, Norfolk W2 1PG, UK

Yoshinao Kubo, Department of AIDS Research, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, 1-12-4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852-8523, Japan

Paul Jolicoeur, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, 110, Pine Avenue West Montreal, QC, Canada H2W 1R7

////////

MDL

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/si/xmlv.html

"The main focus of this special issue is presenting critical research toward development and standardization of sensitive assays for the detection of XMRV and related MLVs, understanding virus biology, and investigating virus transmission, with the important goals of investigating the risk of human infections and determining any disease associations"

.......publication about a year from now....

////////
Manuscript Due February 1, 2011
First Round of Reviews May 1, 2011
Publication Date August 1, 2011

//////

Lead Guest Editor

Arifa S. Khan, Laboratory of Retroviruses, Center for Biologics Research and Review, Food and Drug Administration, 8800 Rockville Pike, HFM-454, Building 29B, room 4NN10, Bethesda, ME, USA
Guest Editors

Myra McClure, Jefferiss Research Trust Laboratories, Wright-Fleming Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St. Mary's Campus, Norfolk Place, Norfolk W2 1PG, UK

Yoshinao Kubo, Department of AIDS Research, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, 1-12-4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852-8523, Japan

Paul Jolicoeur, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, 110, Pine Avenue West Montreal, QC, Canada H2W 1R7

////////

Regarding Dr. McClure, how can one think she is an impartial observer? Did she or did she not say that she "was pleased" when she failed to detect the XMRV virus in her samples? I think she should be taken off the list.

taniaaust1

Dr McClure is becoming to XMRV something like Wessely is to CFS. It shocks me how she's getting her foot into everything. i too feel its wrong that she's going to play a big part in this with her biasness.

Did she or did she not say that she "was pleased" when she failed to detect the XMRV virus in her samples? I think she should be taken off the list.

Isn't that taken rather unfairly out of context? People reading that could easily misunderstand, and we don't need any more confusion surrounding CFS imo.

MDL

Isn't that taken rather unfairly out of context? People reading that could easily misunderstand, and we don't need any more confusion surrounding CFS imo.

Putting the quote aside, I would still question her inclusion, as she does have a "dog in the fight", so to speak.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I've never heard of Hindawi before. Is it a well known journal? Does anyone know anything about it.

Regarding Mclure, her involvement raises a lot of questions. I have to say though, that if she hadn't got the public (and private) lashing that she had from the beginning of this, she could well have turned around by now and even been fighting 'on our side'.

You get what you give, as my dear wife always says.

MDL

I've never heard of Hindawi before. Is it a well known journal? Does anyone know anything about it.
Funny you should ask, as I got a solicitation from them last week for the gastro journal and I wondered the same. This is what the site says about that particular journal:

"ISRN Gastroenterology is a peer-reviewed, open access journal that publishes original research articles, review articles, case reports, and clinical studies in all areas of gastroenterology.

ISRN Gastroenterology is part of the International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN), a series of peer-reviewed, open access journals that are designed to provide a fast peer review process for all submitted manuscripts. Every ISRN journal is collaboratively run by a relatively large, international Editorial Board of experts in the subject area of the journal."

Putting the quote aside, I would still question her inclusion, as she does have a "dog in the fight", so to speak.

Oh yeah - I don't see her as impartial. But if a journal wanted to have Mikovits as a guest editor for an issue on XMRV, I wouldn't mind and I don't see her as impartial either. Lets see how it goes.

MDL

Oh yeah - I don't see her as impartial. But if a journal wanted to have Mikovits as a guest editor for an issue on XMRV, I wouldn't mind and I don't see her as impartial either. Lets see how it goes.

Well, the difference in our opinions is that I would exclude both for the same reason. Surely there must be a few other people out there who aren't so readily identified with one camp or the other.