• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caffeine: helps, hurts or makes no difference?

mirshine

It depends on how i'm doing. My head nearly always needs it. But sometimes my body is just too done already and can't handle the heart rate boost. Some days i manage 3 cups. On bad head days 4. Other days i'm lucky if i manage my morning cup.

Hugo

I have some use of caffeine if I drink it like one or two days during the week. If I start drinking it every day, several cups or other beverages with caffeine its not good for me and then I get headache and loose energy.

Wishful

It doesn't help me. Caffeine never, even when I was healthy, seemed to boost my energy level. strong coffee would make me feel jittery (and nauseated), but not more energetic. I gave up coffee for a couple of years during this disorder, then had it again: no effect either way. I switched to decaf a while back because it was starting to cause insomnia.

arewenearlythereyet

I got myself into a bit of a pickle with espresso, while I was first I'll. I ended up having 20 shots a day each with a heaped spoonful of sugar in each ....didn't really help. I'm now only on 2 shots first thing in the morning with d ribose and feel a lot better without all that caffeine. I could eliminate the last 2 since I have a good decaf alternative ... ...just heard that caffeine was supposed to be good in small quantities so kept this in.

Dechi

I loathe the idea of caffeine free its like alcohol free beer,why bother

@wastwater I would agree with if you drink coffee specifically because of the effect of caffeine. In my case I also love the taste of good coffee. I can appreciate the taste of different coffee beans and my cup of coffee is a pleasure to drink every morning. We lose so much with this illness, coffee is one thing I decided to keep. I don't find being decaffeinated alters the taste.

me/cfs 27931

I seem to tolerate the mild amount of caffeine in green and white teas well. I drink about 3 cups a day (mostly sencha green tea).

Some caffeine seems to help with my 2-3 hour wakeup period.

Dechi

@Webdog I have 2 unrelated questions for you : what do you mean by " 2-3 hour wake-up period " ? Do you mean you sleep 21 hours per day ?

Why are you diagnosed 84%-91 % ? Just curious, these are very precise numbers, and why not completely diagnosed ?

tinacarroll27

I can't tolerate coffee and have never drank if for 20 years. Just smelling it gives me a really bad headache and makes me feel sick. I have a lot of food intolerances though.