• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

C60 'buckyballs' in olive oil

I couldn't find anything on this using the forums' search feature. I'm not sciencey enough to offer an interpretation, but I wanted to post here as you clever lot can probably get your heads around it.

After a rat study showed a 90% increase in lifespan, some people are experimenting with taking C60 fullerenes mixed in olive oil. There are a few positive anecdotes popping up and people suggesting its antioxidant, anti-viral, liver-protective, neuro-regenerative properties etc.

Can't find a good overview from a website not commercially related to the product. I did find this blog post: http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2012/11/12/1424/

There is a section dedicated to it at the Longecity forum. I originally found it on Sarah Vaughter's site, and she has always struck me as quite scientifically rigorous.

Hmm, I think you are right. After reading more at that Longecity forum, I didn't realise just how daring some of the folks there are to experiment on themselves.

GhostGum

Hmm, I think you are right. After reading more at that Longecity forum, I didn't realise just how daring some of the folks there are to experiment on themselves.

Have been reading a fair bit on that forum about this the last couple of days, they have dedicated a whole section to it, seemed quite surreal and took a while to work out exactly what it was, because it seems nothing like a typical supplement or medication, it is simply speculation that the Buckminsterfullerene molecule has great healing/health potentials.

Many of the initial reports seem quite promising, a newer report here by the user Jehyst who has FMS/ME,

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/57492-c60-experiments-home/page__st__1650

There is also an older discussion about it here where one of the researches and makers of the product chimes in,

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45659

Don't expect any miracles :)

It's basically only really interesting for people who are into the longevity stuff. I have been taking it for the past week and all I noticed was that I am much more relaxed for some reason. Could easily be a coincidence.

On the Longecity thread on this product, many report that they can do more repetitions and/or more weight in their workout. I can't comment on that.

We really want to avoid giving a bad impression, peddling miracle cures and all, so I'd say don't buy it unless you have a good reason. We only have 26 bottles left anyway and I would prefer they go to our existing customers who are testing the C60, often to see whether it will help their health problems - to which I am sceptical about.

Due to the the complexity of the production process, our production capacity is very limited and will remain so for at least half a year more.

There are some novel skin products produced in Japan that contain C60 but they contain nearly no Buckminsterfullerene and the prices are astronomical. It would be interesting to see whether it can help skin healing in the extreme concentration we supply it in (maximum possible solution, tens of thousands of times "stronger" than in cosmetics with Buckyballs!).

I just started reading "Extra Virginity" by Tom Mueller, "The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil" and he notes how olive oil has been used on the skin in ancient Greece. C60 is an incredibly powerful antioxidant, hundreds of times stronger than vit. C. It may be the most powerful antioxidant on Earth, and it does not get "used up" while it does that work, meaning it gets recycled indefinitely.

We have no data on this product, except that it is safe, based on animal tests. And that it does all kinds of beneficial things to animals. It extends life across the entire spectrum of living beings, from fungi to bacteria to zooplankton to mice and rats. But for all we know, it may cause terrible photosensitivity, when used on the skin. And there is no evidence whatsoever that it will work on humans at all, or that it has no long term side effects. We think not, but this is uncharted territory so perhaps you do not want your Gorilla to be an early adopter :)

There is a lot of medical research info on http://C60antiaging.com and we will post a early-adopter experiences there as it becomes available. There is one other supplier of this stuff and some intrepid folks have been taking it for two months already, mixed in their home labs, in very large doses - they haven't dropped dead yet :)

At least all the experimenters will lay the ground work for us, I am also not game myself as of yet neither but at the end of the day also realize when anything new is discovered, as long as it proves safe in animal studies, there will be some people who are the guinea pigs; had to happen with all supplements/drugs at one time.

I tried C60 back in February and immediately experienced symptoms similar to sublingual B12, ie a sudden onset of folate deficiency symptoms (Hours not days).

After starting the C60 I suddenly developed cycling IBS-C/D and an extreme sensitivity to most supplements; not able to tolerate even tiny amounts of the most gentle forms of magnesium, calcium, vitamin C and many others. Selenium in particular now causes me back soreness. I can only currently tolerate B vitamins and betaine HCl. This has remained six months after ceasing it.

I think I may have triggered an underlying problem with glutathione, perhaps similar to the glutathione-induced folate deficiency some people experience. I am trying to build up my methyl-B doses, but am struggling due to no longer being able to toerate potassium or fruit juices. Taking betaine HCl three times a day is currently keeping the diarrhoea under control.

I have contacted a few people involved with C60, but they don't believe it can cause such effects. I don't have the energy to debate on the longevity forum and have no need to convince anyone there. Though the woman who sells it did agree she hadn't heard any success stories from chronically ill people, and indeed never claimed this.

I have heard from a couple of people who took this without any significant problems, though no noticeable benefit either. However, if one has a history of strong reactions to glutathione or methylation related supplements, I don't believe they should try this. I certainly regret trying it. I think I've learnt my lesson now ;)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It extends life across the entire spectrum of living beings, from fungi to bacteria to zooplankton to mice and rats.
This might not be good for people harboring pathogens. It might be wise to let the healthy people be guinea pigs first.

I read some good stories about C60 and ordered a bottle. I took a single dose of 1.5mg this afternoon and had a weird response about an hour or so later. I became very tired, dissociated, blurry, had a headache and a general feeling something was just really not right. I am still the same now.

I started reading somewhat more and got extremely scared. This stuff seems to have major effects in only a couple of doses in rats and is supposed to have lasting effects in a way that nobody understands. Does anyone have other scary responses to this stuff? Can someone comfort me a bit? Unim, have you recovered?

alex3619

I started reading somewhat more and got extremely scared. This stuff seems to have major effects in only a couple of doses in rats and is supposed to have lasting effects in a way that nobody understands. Does anyone have other scary responses to this stuff? Can someone comfort me a bit? Unim, have you recovered?
These are largely nondegradable. They are not subject to the usual biological degradation, they do not occur in nature. So the impact, whatever it is, will not be quickly reversible, though they may pass through the gut and be removed that way for the most part. Personally I would wait until the science is much more advanced. Similar arguments would apply to any nanotech meds.

As of the last two months, my gut sensitivity seems to be about where it was before things went awry. I'd say it took about 12 months to get 50% back to normal.

Things seemed to improve faster after I was able to supplement taurine and glycine. I had started them to improve bile flow for general purposes. Don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

Also during this whole experience I developed occasional aching in my upper abdominal quadrants. This seems to be much better now too.

Recently cutting eggs out of my diet caused my bile flow to noticeably reduce, along with some mild aching. Lecithin seems to be helping this.

[Edit] Actually, it is worth noting that I am now taking selenium without any back/spinal soreness. I'd forgotten about that one.

Last edited:

xena

As of the last two months, my gut sensitivity seems to be about where it was before things went awry. I'd say it took about 12 months to get 50% back to normal.

Things seemed to improve faster after I was able to supplement taurine and glycine. I had started them to improve bile flow for general purposes. Don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

Also during this whole experience I developed occasional aching in my upper abdominal quadrants. This seems to be much better now too.

Recently cutting eggs out of my diet caused my bile flow to noticeably reduce, along with some mild aching. Lecithin seems to be helping this.

[Edit] Actually, it is worth noting that I am now taking selenium without any back/spinal soreness. I'd forgotten about that one.
@Unim , any speculation what kind of issue with gsh the c60 produced?

@Unim , any speculation what kind of issue with gsh the c60 produced?

Sorry, no idea unfortunately. The similarity between my reactions to C60, B12 and folate is all I was going on really.

I mentioned above that my upper abdominal quadrant aches (Mostly right, occasionally left) were much better. It's worth noting however, that they return temporarily any time I alter my intake of certain supplements related to bile flow (Milk thistle, glycine, taurine, lecithin etc.). Never had any problems with these prior to the C60. I may be reacting to others, but not near as bad as at it was.

Another thing I don't think I mentioned was that back when I took the C60, one of my teeth began to ache for a short while. Perhaps the C60 conferred some protection to some oral pathogen also. Therein maybe an alternate explanation for my reaction...