August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

C3a and C4a levels low. What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by healinglyme, Dec 29, 2017.

1. healinglyme

healinglyme

Hi i’m new here.

I’m getting treated for Lyme and co-infections for more than 5 years now. When I started treatment I was completely bedbound in a dark room 24/7 and not able to walk, talk, eat by myself (i was tube-fed), watch TV or shower. Treatment was really hard, but finally I’m making progress and at the moment I’m feeling better than I’ve felt in years. My LLMD said the Lyme is not active at the moment and 6 months ago we stopped the antibiotics. A month ago I went to my LLMD and we did some testing. My test results show my C3a and C4a are low. Does anyone know what low levels of C3a and C4a means? My CD57 is also quite low (40).

Mel9 and pibee like this.
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Welcome! Congratulations on your improvement!

This post may help you understand the complement test results a little better.

This post will help you understand the role of CF57+ NK cells in chronic Lyme and other diseases.

ebethc likes this.
  3. pibee

pibee Senior Member

Nice to hear you've improved . How much are you better from 4+ years of antibiotics?
    Does your doctor evaluate if Lyme is active by Elispot/LTT or?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Mel9 likes this.
  4. healinglyme

healinglyme

I’m feeling 80% recovered on my really good days. Treating Lyme & co’s with antibiotics were only a part of my treatment though. We also treated immune dysfunction, “leaky” gut, inflammation, etc etc. I’m still getting treated with immunoglobulins and lots of supplements, but no antibiotics anymore.

No he doesn’t, I think it’s based on CD38, PGE2, cytokines levels.... Those are (almost) normal.

JadeD, Mel9 and pibee like this.
  5. pibee

pibee Senior Member

how long have you been sick before this ?

my CD38 is normal, cytokines mostly too (IL-8 is raised), PGE2 raised. c4a high but not much.
    My ME didnt improve from Lyme treatment even though i was positive and then negative

6. healinglyme

healinglyme

Sick for more than 12 years... Some test results improved, other test results are still bad.

See more popular forum discussions.