• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(by Peter White) "Chronic fatigue syndrome service: St Bartholomew’s (Barts) Hospital, London"

Esther12

I thought this was semi-related to this thread and not worth starting a new one for.

maxwhd posted a link to a White article I was sure we'd discussed before, saying much the same as the above, but I couldn't find it on here so thought I'd risk a repost: http://t.co/IqQYjngWfE

The thing I thought was most interesting about it was the description of the interventions. There's no mention of APT's 70% rule, and really, it makes APT's 'presumption' sound necessarily true - unless you think that CFS patient's energy levels are infinite. From that description, APT would seem to be able to include CBT and GET.

Adaptive Pacing Therapy (APT or Pacing) involved
an assessment of daily activities and capacity, with mutual
negotiation of a programme of rest, balanced with
activity, based on the presumption that energy reserves
are finite and should not be overdrawn. Occupational
therapists delivered the treatment.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) involved
structuring daily rest, activity and sleep, and a gradual
return to normal activity, with assessment of illness
beliefs and coping strategies, all individually negotiated
in collaboration with the patient. Clinical psychologists
and nurse therapists delivered the treatments.

Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) involved an assessment
of physical capacity and mutual negotiation
of an individually designed graded aerobic exercise
programme, with feedback and mutual planning of new
goals. Physiotherapists delivered the treatment.

Dolphin

Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) involved an assessment
of physical capacity and mutual negotiation
of an individually designed graded aerobic exercise
programme, with feedback and mutual planning of new
goals. Physiotherapists delivered the treatment.
The thing is that it's not that individually designed with restricted mutual planning possible according to the manual. It's about breaking the link between symptoms and activity levels. So if one increases activity levels, and experiences increased activity, one is supposed to maintain such activity levels for a week or two.