• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Butcher's broom (Ruscus aculeatus) - herbal midodrine

ramakentesh

Sorry to hear that. i didnt get any anxiety from it at all. I seem to get that feeling that you are describing more from midodrine :) Do you have POTS with peripheral or stomach pooling?

Sing

I don't have POTS as a rule, but NMH. (However if my life depended on rushing or trying to run, especially in the morning, I could, or have, suddenly gone into that very unpleasant heart-pounding over-reaction of the body trying to get some circulation going.) I did feel a sort of physical anxiety with 3 capsules of the Nature's Way Butcher's Broom on top of the Midodrine. But since I am still experimenting to see if this herb can have some value in my case, today I am taking 1 capsule on top of Midodrine, and it feels: so far, so good.

ramakentesh

I was thinking that at least butchers might provide an alterative for people who have to go off midodrine or become tolerant to it and want a 'holiday' to improve that tolerance?

Im in a bind here at the moment. DO I go midodrine and feel pretty good but maybe a little hyped up or mestonin and not as good and almost sleepy?

tango

I noticed someone mentioned that butcher's broom has a diuretic effect. How noticeable is that? I try to drink a lot of fluids to keep up blood volume. Taking a diuretic for POTS or low blood pressure seems counterintuitive- not to mention all the extra trips to the toilet.

Forummember9922

Bumping this old post as I felt I had a much better day today and yesterday, especially mentally, which must mostly be from Butchers Broom. Feel obligated to log a positive experience. I would likely be hesitant to mess with butchers if i was not also on bisoprolol to control bp

Violeta

Butcher's Broom has helped me so much that it's hard for me to believe. Not only does it help be stay on my feet, but it also helps me sleep at night, especially when I am having restless leg syndrome.

After reading about tyrosine here, I started taking tyrosine with it. Very helpful.

Butcher's Broom has helped me so much that it's hard for me to believe. Not only does it help be stay on my feet, but it also helps me sleep at night, especially when I am having restless leg syndrome.

After reading about tyrosine here, I started taking tyrosine with it. Very helpful.
What dose are you taking?

Forummember9922

A couple times when taking Butchers Broom ive had some facial tingling type thing--- I really think it's important to keep on eye on this medicine when trying it. Especially if you have high BP.