• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B's causing more anxiety?

MMe

Two weeks ago I got my lab results back (urine/blood) which indicated high norepi, high metanephrine and low MHPG. Also very low omega 3 and b6. (I'm still waiting for my 23andme results, but it seems that I have some problems with MAO and perhaps COMT.)

So I started supplementing with fish oil (2 caps/day = ±1100 mg EPA and ±260 mg DHA), GLA (borage oil) and a low dose b - complex:
B1 2,2 mg
B2 2,8 mg
B3 (niacinamide) 32 mg
B5 12 mg
B6 (pyridoxine HCL) 2,8 mg
Folic acid (pteroglutamic acid) 400 microgr
B12 ( cyanocobalamin) 5 microgr
brewer's yeast 25 mg
choline 2,5 mg
inositol 2,5 mg

I thought that this low doses couldn't have any harmful effect... I felt great on it the last 10 days. But this morning a woke up (after a bad night, couldn't fall asleep) with that horrible anxiety again. :(

What did I do wrong??? :oops:

Valentijn

So I started supplementing with fish oil (2 caps/day = ±1100 mg EPA and ±260 mg DHA), GLA (borage oil) and a low dose b - complex:
B1 2,2 mg
B2 2,8 mg
B3 (niacinamide) 32 mg
B5 12 mg
B6 (pyridoxine HCL) 2,8 mg
Folic acid (pteroglutamic acid) 400 microgr
B12 ( cyanocobalamin) 5 microgr
brewer's yeast 25 mg
choline 2,5 mg
inositol 2,5 mg
GLA is omega 6 - might be causing inflammation issues, and blocking the fish oil (omega 3).

Your folic acid and B12 are also in inactive forms, which might be capable of blocking natural forms from your diet. CyanoB12 also has cyanide in it, which can cause problems if you have trouble getting rid of it.

The 23andMe results might make things clearer when they arrive. If COMT and MAO actually are a problem, then supplementing methylB12 might be a problem. In that case, hydroxyB12 can be a safer alternative, albeit harder to find - it has the added bonus of removing cyanide from the body.

MMe

Tnx Valentijn!

My lab results showed also very low GLA. My doc told me to supplement with borage oil. I'll stop with it to see if that makes a difference.

I thought the dosage of the B's was so low, that it couldn't do much harm... And because I suppose I do have problems with MAO and COMT, taking a non-methylform would be safer...
(I've also tried P5P for 2 days - from what I've read on this forum, it should be better - but it made me jittery. So I decided to stay with this low dosed b-complex.)

My 23andme results are in 'stage 4 of 6' now. I hope they'll arrive soon. I really can't handle the anxiety any more... after 18 looooong months... :(

MMe

FYI:
I found this about GLA (borage oil):
Not all omega-6 fatty acids behave the same. Linoleic acid and arachidonic acid (AA) tend to be unhealthy because they promote inflammation. GLA, on the other hand, may actually reduce inflammation.
Much of the GLA taken as a supplement is converted to a substance called DGLA that fights inflammation. Having enough of certain nutrients in the body (including magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6) helps promote the conversion of GLA to DGLA.
Many experts find the science supporting the use of omega-3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation and prevent diseases to be much stronger than that supporting GLA.
Source: University of Maryland Medical Center

So GLA can reduce inflammation, but it needs cofactors like B6. (Which is unfortunately low in my case.)

undcvr

Try P5P in another brand. Try to get it enteric coated too, Solgar has one. In this case drop all the other Bs and just take P5P. You might also need to switch to a reliable brand just in case it could be the fillers and not the Bs, pple with CFS can be sensitive to literally small amounts of Anything. Don't stop the GLA