Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

British Psychological Society publishes article criticising PACE's withholding of data

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Read the rest: https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-29/may-2016/our-struggle-between-science-and-pseudoscience

Mary, Roy S, Keela Too and 36 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

No real surprise. It's a slow moving momentum, but it is hopefully picking up speed.

Susanna D, Invisible Woman and Sasha like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Actually, this is a surprise to me. It's proven very hard to get critical stuff on PACE into the British media, let alone the British establishment, and this is the British psychologists' professional organisation magazine that goes out to all its members.

It's a small mention but on a fairly big, but focused platform - and what I've quoted is at the start of the article, not buried at the end.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

About time too!

5. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Well I think it's fantastic to be able to read something like this at last. I've been saying for a while that decent psychologists should be horrified at what some of their BPS colleagues are doing, and eager to distance themselves from it and put their own house in order. Never thought I'd see it, I'm over the moon. Makes a lot of excellent points, including the following that should be sent to Esther Crawley & co:

Most encouraging to see disapproval of the practices of Wessely, White and Co coming from within.

And a funny pic too - he looks like a naughty but rebellious schoolboy unashamedly playing video games when he knows he's not supposed to, on his psychologist's bean bag with his books behind him :).

ukxmrv, Valentijn, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Extremist! (Well, he's criticised both psychology and PACE, so he must be an ultra-extremist!)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    sue la-la, Valentijn, aimossy and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnCB

JohnCB Immoderate

England
    On a full reading of the article, I was disappointed. PACE was mentioned to spice up the introduction, but never got a mention in the discussion or conclusion. Overall the recommendations in the article were pretty weak. It invites you to think that it is a critical article, but gradually the author sinks back into his comfy chair. In fact, he reckons psychologists are reall a pretty good bunch of guys, they have their heart in the right place. With a bit more care and thought, really psychology is a pretty good science.

Woolie, sarah darwins, A.B. and 2 others like this.
  8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I think its pretty strong:

Dolphin, AndyPandy, Chrisb and 11 others like this.
  9. worldbackwards

worldbackwards Senior Member

An excellent, brave and frequently savage article with plenty of deserved home truths.
    Paging Professor Sharpe...

10. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

The Psychologist is on a bit of a roll at the moment .In the same edition there is another excellent article "Buried in bullshit" by Tom Farsides and Paul Sparkes which might be worth looking up by anyone so interested. Something went wrong when I tried to link it here. Someone with greater stamina and competence might like to try.

TiredSam, Woolie, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  11. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

See more popular forum discussions.