• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Breathing Problems In ME/CFS

Hi @willg,

Ryan,
Thank you for such a thorough reply, I really appreciate it.

I am sure my constant hyperventilation did not start because of anxiety, but rather due to a cracked rib -- when I started breathing in a protective way, from the above the diaphragm, which may have created a tachypnoea situation. Having said that, a year or so later I had a nervous breakdown, and still have heightened anxiety and stress levels (I feel like I run on adrenalin), and so I think that could be maintaining hyperventilation and preventing my recovery. But I also understand that the brain can "reset" itself to demand the wrong amounts of 02 and CO2.

Can you explain about your breath holds that the physiotherapist identified, please? And what advice and drugs you were given? I had physio after I was first diagnosed 5 years ago, and have just started again. But from the one session I've had now, I recognise that I am using the correct techniques - breathing from below the diaphragm, etc. -- naturally. But I still always have the sensation of slight suffocation and air hunger. I try to control this but am usually overwhelmed by my body's demands for more air.

That is fascinating that you mention diet and metabolism. A few months ago I started a keto diet (towards correcting my gut biome) and after a while I did feel a bit better, CFS wise. I can't recall if it affected my breathing. I went on holiday for few weeks and stopped the keto diet, and have not motivated myself to start it again -- but I will do now, thanks! I had no idea of the diet's potential effect on breathing. THANK YOU!