• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Breakspear, KDM or other suggestion? Should I go?

I recently had a consultation with Jean Munro at the Breakspear clinic. Consultation was £210 and the recommended initial tests are around £3250 including a neurologist appointment with Dr Peter Julu.

I do not have this kind of money but is it worth me obtaining it and continuing with this treatment.

have you read up much on or heard many experiences with this clinic and doctors?

Or would I be better off finding someone different like KDM or (any other suggestion?)

All suggestions and comments welcome :)

I think KDM would be the best option, and is at about the same price range as what you're quoting for Breakspear (though consults are a lot cheaper with KDM). Breakspear doesn't seem to treat aggressively, possibly due to the atmosphere in the UK toward treating ME patients, and they only specifically mention peripheral or supporting treatments.

Their recent newsletter also suggested exercising more while recovering from "chronic fatigue" with no mention that it would be very inappropriate for ME patients to do so. My general impression is that they don't really understand what ME is, compared to CDC CFS or Oxford CF.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've also heard that Breakspear will charge you left and right for things, a phone call to go over labs etc. Anything to get money out of people.