• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain's Waste Removal System [Glymphatic] Only Operates During Deep Sleep

Wayne

The following link will take you to a Dr. Mercola article--one of the best I've run across regarding the correlation between deep sleep and detoxification. There's a couple videos in the article, including a 3-min. segment entitled "The Role of the Glymphatic System in Cleansing the Brain".

Lack of Sleep Promotes Alzheimer’s by Preventing Critical Detoxification

"By pumping cerebral spinal fluid through your brain's tissues, the glymphatic system flushes the waste from your brain back into your body's circulatory system. From there, the waste eventually reaches your liver, where it's ultimately eliminated.

The clincher is that this system ramps up its activity during sleep, thereby allowing your brain to clear out toxins, including harmful proteins called amyloid-beta, the buildup of which has been linked to Alzheimer's.

During sleep, the glymphatic system becomes 10 times more active than during wakefulness. Simultaneously, your brain cells shrink by about 60 percent, allowing for greater efficiency of waste removal."

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I think that the opposite is true as well. When I am overloaded with toxins or with detoxing reactions (which is far too often), I cannot sleep at all.

So... Catch 22. This is why getting methylation up and running is so important.

perrier

What do researchers say about the quality of deep sleep in CFS/Me patents?

I just had a very lengthy conversation with a doctor who explained to me that if deep sleep is absent or damaged or minimal the person will get symptoms of rapid aging in terms of their brain capacity. He explained there are cells that do repair work only during deep sleep.

What have the researchers said then about deep sleep in this condition? Anyone know?
Merci.