Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Brain's immune cells key to maintaining blood-brain barrier

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jan 11, 2016.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-01-brain-immune-cells-key-blood-brain.html#nRlv

2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

To me that means do not inactivate microglia

roller and halcyon like this.
  3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Why is it getting so activated in CFS? Is it that there is not good barrier?

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I think the barrier is attacked by the infectious agent or the immune response to it.

lnester7 and roller like this.
  5. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

CNS infection is my vote.

Vineyard1 and lnester7 like this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I think it is a bit more complicated that that.

Microglia can activate into the neuro-destructive mode (= classical activation), which is the "kill" mode that destroys pathogens; or they can activate into the neuro-protective mode (= alternative activation), which is the mode that repairs tissue and heals the brain.

I imagine that if the microglia are repairing the blood-brain barrier, it will be the neuro-protective mode that is required.

Quite a few factors (including LPS and mold toxins) seem to switch microglia from the neuro-protective mode into the neuro-destructive mode. And I would guess that an ongoing CNS infection would promote the neuro-destructive mode.

More info at the bottom of this post.

roller likes this.
  7. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Pathogens in neurons must be destroyed. How would you do that without damaging the cells?

roller and halcyon like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, but only if there are indeed pathogens present in brain cells such as neurons or glia that need to be destroyed.

But what if microglia were activated into the neuro-destructive mode not because of pathogens in brain cells, but because of factors such as mold toxins, which induce the neuro-destructive mode?

Or what if there were only relatively few brain cells infected with pathogens (ME/CFS brain autopsies examining enterovirus infections in the brain have found only a scattering of infected cells), but the microglial response to that infection was far stronger than was necessary, perhaps again due to mold toxins entering the brain, or due to immune phenomena such as microglial priming, that inappropriately amplifies and exaggerates microglial responses?

9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Or what if the brain is infected with a pathogen for wich is not tested?

10. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

destroy lps and exotoxins/endotoxins produced by bacteria - then less microglia activation.

but... even then.. its not really clear, if this reduced response (due to waste reducation) wouldnt be benefical to the bacteria/pathogens itself.

we cannot solve this. so, we have to attack the pathogen.

See more popular forum discussions.