• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Plasticity

adreno

PR activist
thanks for your thoughts on causes . i had forgotten the immune system. I actually think my immune system is both over AND under functioning at the same time . I dont know how, but its my hunch.

I cant see how CBT is anything like visuaslisation though ? or how it can effect any real healing?

Alex is definitely right. The immune system is KING. It's all about survival...

CBT is about changing your thought patterns. Changing your thought patterns will "rewire" or "reorganize" your brain. CBT uses the plastic properties of the brain to make changes; so does learning experiences and visualization.

None of this will make dead neurons come alive though. The big question is how much damage has been done to brain from factors such as inflammation, oxidative stress, exicotoxicity, toxins, hypoxia and ischemia.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
golden , stimulating the brain to adapt is about stimulating the parts you want to change, and in the direction you want to change. That is what CBT is about too. Visualizing what you want to do, visualize yourself doing it, as a daily routine and you are on your way. With something physical then doing it is important, even if most of that is mental. However such visualization can still cause PEM I think, though not as badly nor as easily as actually doing stuff. Physiotherapy in stroke or other brain injury patients can help retrain the brain.

My best guess is that the brain is damaged as a secondary consequence to immune issues, but that such damage is typically neither severe nor irreversible. However the immune problems have to be fixed first before the brain can fully heal, and we don't know how to do that. My leading cause for the problem is enteroviruses, given that recent advancements in our knowledge of them change the whole picture of what such a virus can do. I do think that methylation problems, and EDS, and any oxidative stress inducing disorder exacerbates this, and also increases the risk of getting this problem.

When I say the brain damage is not severe, I mean that most of the problem is metabolic, hormonal or immune, and the underlying brain structure is mostly intact.

Physical injury to the brain stem/upper spine can sometimes be alleviated and Wayne is right that if this is a problem for a patient then dealing with it can help. However I had many long talks with a chiari patient who had surgery once, and this is a path you want to be careful with as its also possible to further damage the brain stem/upper spinal chord.

It was believed until relatively recently that the adult brain could not acquire new neurons, but this now appears to be incorrect. From a quick search I found this interesting review paper from 2005:

http://www.units.muohio.edu/regener...es/JNeurobiologyMorphogen's Tale_review 1.pdf

I expect more has been learned since then.

Wayne

It still feels like the bones in my head arent right.

Hi Golden. Just want to mention that I did a therapy called "Nasal Specific", also known as "Balloon Sinuplasty", which helped enormously in "unlocking" my cranials. I don't have the energy this morning to write much about, but thought I'd give you a couple of links if you had an interest:

Central Nervous System Restoration

Functional Cranial Release Videos

Balloon Sinuplasty Explanation

When I first had a ballon sinuplasty done, I could feel and hear my cranials release, which sounded a lot like cracking my knuckles. It was a major shift for me.

Best, Wayne