• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Brain on Fire: The Role of Toxic Mold in Triggering Psychiatric Symptoms"

slayadragon

A new Paradigm Change blog (3/17/14): Integrative psychiatrist (and Shoemaker certified physician) Dr. Mary Ackerley talks about her observations and about the medical literature on the topic of how toxic mold can trigger "psychiatric" symptoms in affected individuals.

http://paradigmchange.me/wp/?p=596

Attachments

• Sick Cat Smaller.jpg
    Sick Cat Smaller.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10

Hip

Good article, and great to see a doctor interested in uncovering any possible biotoxin causes of the mental symptoms of her patients, interested in how high levels of certain inflammatory cytokines in the brain can lead to mental symptoms, interested in using mold detoxifying agents like cholestyramine, and interested in suggesting diets and supplements that reduce levels of brain inflammation that are likely causing the mental symptoms.

I like this excerpt from the article, about how she treated a suspect mold exposure patient:
I gave her a prescription for cholestyramine and told her to take it three to four times a day.

She came back three weeks later and I was looking at a different person. It was a very startling experience. She was on time for her appointment, looking alert and put together. She was coherent and neatly dressed. It was like a really different person.

The only thing that had been changed was adding cholestyramine. It was very impressive to me that something that I was calling pre-dementia had been eradicated.

Thomas

@slayadragon or anyone else....
Anybody here with ME who lives in a low-ermi or hertsmi house take cholestyramine and actually feel better?? I have an Rx sitting here but am afraid to try it because so many people report feeling worse. Much worse.

Thanks for posting that article though - very informative and interesting :)

slayadragon

It really depends on how reactive you are. I was not able to take csm until I got very clear -- e.g. tent camping in a location with really good air. But other people with less severe reactivity than I used to have are able to take it in less pristine places.
Dr. Ackerley more focuses on patients with mood disorders rather than M.E. My feeling is that M.E. patients tend to be more toxic and thus might have a more difficult time with csm.