• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain fog symptoms that are odd. Any ideas?

Hi I am a 23 year old male who has been sick for around 12 years. I have been diagnosed with POTS Major depressive disorder, PANDAS, OCD, contested EDS, Craniocervical fusion, and chronic head pain of unknown origion among other things.

Ever since I got ill I started to feel like my brain wasn't working. I became dissasociated like everything felt strange to me in my life. Like my memory of myself and my friends was gone. My mind felt sedated. It felt like no thoughts were going on in my head. I became much less talkative and lost all my friends because I could not speak to them.

Because I didn't feel good and because I did not know what to say to them. It became an effort to think. Everytime I tried to think I felt I couldnt like there was a wall blocking my thoughts. If you asked me to try to imagine a car moving in my head I would try to focus and literally be straining to try to get the image into my head. But it takes so much effort i cannot.

It is like that with everything the Stop.Try to think. And then distortion in that order. I also do not daydream since ive been ill always thought that was odd.

I cannot ponder things it feels like its all in my subconscious. Like my subconscious is working and I can answer peoples questions and talk briefly but anything deep like pondering or imagining or visualizing I cannot do. It is terrible. Now im hoping that treating the pandas will help this I am going to be doing rituximab for it but no one knows.

I have other symptoms but will save for later if anyone is curious. '

Thank you.

Last edited:

valentinelynx

Love your avatar! My sweet doggie Lupe is a Shiba Inu. You're using the classic "doge" meme image of a Shiba Inu. I think it's hilarious how Shibas have taken over the Internet.

Sorry about your horrible brain fog. For me, it's mainly that I cannot multitask like I used to. If I try to think when overwhelmed by other things, sometimes nothing happens. Hang in there!

Daffodil

@Kazooie47 sorry for the brain issues. i have had severe issues that are sort of similar for decades..they started improving once I addressed Lyme and possibly some gut issues.

I would see a specialst and get thoroughly tested for bacterial problems. Also, stool analysis might be helpful.

The only person who was able to help me is Dr. DeMeirleir but perhaps others do similar workups and treatment.

I have come to believe that bacteria can cause all kinds of mystery diseases; strep was shown to have caused OCD in some children, for example...

If you want more information on what helped me, please feel free to send me a message:)
xo

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Kazooie47

I'm sure your situation must feel quite distressing. And I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing all this.

I believe that there are a few others here who have had/are having similar issues. I have myself though long ago. I had epilepsy so I associated it with that at the time.

The situation is tricky (especially depending where you are from) with regards to getting a Dr to take this seriously as something other than 'all in your head' psychiatric problem as opposed to a neurological issue.

If you decide to try some sort of supplement protocol I would advise that you start with very small doses esp with methylation supps.

Best wishes to you,
SD

caledonia

Hi Kazooie,

Sorry to hear of your struggles while being so young.

My suggestion is to check for metals such as mercury and lead. Mercury can cause depression and OCD (and a bunch of other stuff including neurological issues). Lead can affect higher order creative thinking like visualization.

In my signature link, go to the link for Cutler Frequent Dose Chelation. There is info there on how to do a hair test. It's only $85 and interpretation is free, so it's more or less a no brainer.

If you find you have metals and decide to chelate them out, I only recommend doing the Cutler protocol. I've experimented with other protocols and have gotten worse as they're not based on dosing within the half life of the chelators.

meandthecat

Brain Fog is devastating, it strips us of who are and seems impossible to explain to those that have not experienced it. It's a major symptom but seldom treated as such or even acknowledged by Dr's.

I struggled for years and to come out the other side is like seeing the sunrise after a long dark night and the green shoots of spring pushing through the winters grey mantle all at once. To be able to think, imagine and remember is so precious.

I relied on 'Body memory' and habit as ways of functioning when I could not think, sometimes just ' flying blind ' and seeing where I ended up. My spacial sense left me and I would get lost in a town I had known for 20yrs.

I paced and in particular 'went horizontal ' at every opportunity, sometimes head down, even a thin pillow was too high. Sorry I have no answers, I took supplements, some seemed to help, D-ribose is one I still use now and then.

Hang on in there, you are not alone, people here 'get it'.

kangaSue

Have you been tested for D-lactic acidosis (elevated blood and/or urine levels of D-lactate). They only go looking for this when when there are classic severe symptoms but I see it suggested that it can be problematic even with mildly elevated levels.

Those with short bowel syndrome are most afflicted but some research studies also suggests that it can occur from intestinal permeability too in some of those with chronic GI dysfunction.

wastwater

That kind of mental exhaustion where you can't hold a thought in you're head is a hard place to be at,I found increasing antidepressants helps a bit along with rest and getting rid of stressors and good nutrition

ahmo

Brain fog...Eventually, after I'd done everything else I could (detox, methylation, diet) and I still had significant fuzziness in my head I learned about nasal insulin. It's helped me a lot. But I wouldn't think it should be at the top of the list, though maybe it can help even with other ongoing problems. This article isn't intended for unwell people.
http://www.lostfalco.com/intranasal-insulin/

rwac

Diamond V XPC is what helped me way back when I had brain fog. You can get it on ebay.

Sancar

Sick of being sick ~
  1. Hello fellow brain disfuncional" :ill: ones. me @meandthecaat- how much Dribose to have to take a day and for how long to notice any difference?
  2. @Snowdrop - would you please enlighten me as what the "esp" supliments are that you were referring to. I'm not familiar with that?
  3. I'm new to the PR forums ~ I have to thank ALL of you for the insite and comndation you provide for each other~ Sancar

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Sancar Welcome to PR

Apologies. esp was just short hand for especially so it would read: I would advise that you start with very small doses especially with methylation supps.

There are many many threads on methylation supplements here on PR if you'd like to explore using B12 and Methyfolate.

Have you been tested for D-lactic acidosis (elevated blood and/or urine levels of D-lactate). They only go looking for this when when there are classic severe symptoms but I see it suggested that it can be problematic even with mildly elevated levels.

Those with short bowel syndrome are most afflicted but some research studies also suggests that it can occur from intestinal permeability too in some of those with chronic GI dysfunction.
I am not sure. Possibly My neurologist did a ton of tests