• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bowel issues and osteoporosis medication question

Hello, I had some bowel issues for quite a few years before getting M.E. My GI doc realised I was vitamin D deficient as a result and sent me for a bone scan which revealed osteoporosis. About a month after commencing Alendronic Acid for Osteoporosis I developed M.E. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I took it for the recommended 5 years during which I have gradually improved a great deal. They want me to now start Zolendronic Acid and I am concerned that this may cause me to deteriorate. Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom out there?

Many thanks,

Laura

Carl

It might be worth you looking at Vitamin K2, particularly the MK-4 type which has had the most studies done. 3x15mg/day is what was used in a Japanese trial which had good results. Taking a smaller dose of MK-7 as well might be worth doing.

Vitamin K keeps calcium where it is meant to be, in the bones. Vitamin D3 is also helpful and raises the Vitamin K requirement. Vitamin D increases calcium absorption as well as doing many other things. There is a good book called Vitamin K2 and the calcium paradox.
here is a video of Dr. Mercola interviewing the author of the book and some information can be obtained from it. I was watching it a little earlier.

I cannot really comment on those drugs? I very much doubt that they had anything to do with you developing CFS.

It might be worth you looking at Vitamin K2, particularly the MK-4 type which has had the most studies done. 3x15mg/day is what was used in a Japanese trial which had good results. Taking a smaller dose of MK-7 as well might be worth doing.

Vitamin K keeps calcium where it is meant to be, in the bones. Vitamin D3 is also helpful and raises the Vitamin K requirement. Vitamin D increases calcium absorption as well as doing many other things. There is a good book called Vitamin K2 and the calcium paradox.
here is a video of Dr. Mercola interviewing the author of the book and some information can be obtained from it. I was watching it a little earlier.

I cannot really comment on those drugs? I very much doubt that they had anything to do with you developing CFS.

Thank you! very interesting!

Paralee

Hello, I had some bowel issues for quite a few years before getting M.E. My GI doc realised I was vitamin D deficient as a result and sent me for a bone scan which revealed osteoporosis. About a month after commencing Alendronic Acid for Osteoporosis I developed M.E. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I took it for the recommended 5 years during which I have gradually improved a great deal. They want me to now start Zolendronic Acid and I am concerned that this may cause me to deteriorate. Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom out there?

Many thanks,

Laura

@Laura Hope , evidently he gave you Fosomax (puts osteoblasts (plasts?) ) back in your bones. Trouble is, to me, they are dead cells.I don't know why he didn't check your calcium and pth (together) or at the very least put you on vit D and calcium. But then, I have no MD title. Luck.

thanks for your response. Yes I have been on calcium and vitamin D for many years now. The alendronite meds kill of the cells that make the bones deteriorate. so that the cells that regenerate bone can be more effective.

Paralee

thanks for your response. Yes I have been on calcium and vitamin D for many years now. The alendronite meds kill of the cells that make the bones deteriorate. so that the cells that regenerate bone can be more effective.

Really? I haven't heard anything good about them. Is your osteoporosis better?

I would be interested to know what you have heard about these medications. While I was on Alendronic acid (5yrs) my bone density improved. I have been off it for 18 months now and it has again decreased. My osteo consultant wants me to go on a newer but similar med. just saw my physio yesterday and will be increasing my weight training.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Yes I have been on calcium and vitamin D for many years now.
Your bones need a lot more than just calcium and vitamin D. Taking a lot of calcium without the other things your bones need can leave you with excess calcium in your kidneys and blood vessels, which is not good for them.

My doctor recommended a supplement, OsteoPrev by Orthomolecular Products, that contains vitamins D3, K1, and K2, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, copper, manganese, molybdenum, ipriflavone, and boron. Many post-menopausal women do not assimilate folic acid. It seems to me a very poor choice of folate for a produce such as this.

I would be interested to know what you have heard about these medications.
I have heard that the bone they produce is very brittle. While the bones are denser, your risk of a hip fracture is not reduced.