• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Borrelia

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
Hi everyone. I realize there are a million lyme forums to post this question but my fog is horrible today so I am asking here.

My doctor found Borrelia in me using the ELISPOT test. I started antibiotics about 2 months ago but I think I am "herxing" only now. Is this possible? I notice a definite worsening the last couple of days, in a way that is different than usual.

Hi,

I have also lyme, and I take clarithromycine since nearly 3 month but no rifampin. And i have no herxing... Is it possible? Just a little bit join pain but I take LDN and nexavir...

Is it normal?

Have a nice day.

Clodomir

maryb

iherb code TAK122
thanks. all. I had my cortisol tested in 2008 and it was normal. I cannot remember the name of the test...cortisol stimulation maybe..i don't know.

ugh. so tired of being sick

Sorry to hear you're still feeling so sick daff - hope things improve soon for you.

Ema

thanks. all. I had my cortisol tested in 2008 and it was normal. I cannot remember the name of the test...cortisol stimulation maybe..i don't know.

ugh. so tired of being sick
That doesn't mean your current dose of the med hasn't changed your cortisol metabolism in 2013. Just something to keep in mind if they symptoms persist past what would typically be considered a herx. There are many other abx that do not have this effect on cortisol metabolism.

cigana

Hi,

I have also lyme, and I take clarithromycine since nearly 3 month but no rifampin. And i have no herxing... Is it possible? Just a little bit join pain but I take LDN and nexavir...

Is it normal?

Have a nice day.

Clodomir

Hi Clodomir,

I would like to know too. Because I am the same as you, many months of antibiotics but no herxing (except significantly increased depression)....

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
To Cigana,

Yes, you are right, i am more depressed and sensitive...
But does it mean that it is working or not?

Have a nice day

Clodomir

acer2000

Pardon my ignorance but has this test been approved for borrelia? Only see tuberculosis mentioned in that quote from the FDA.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Is there info about this test as it specifically relates to testing for Lyme disease?

cigana

To Cigana,

Yes, you are right, i am more depressed and sensitive...
But does it mean that it is working or not?

Have a nice day

Clodomir
According to my doctor, yes. But I don't feel any better after around 8 months.

Ema

How was your friend treated? Has she/he recovered? Is AI the same as adrenal fatigue?
Sorry for so many question, but I am on the rifampin myself (longterm) and wonder if some of my symptoms could be assigned to AI.
She was treated in the hospital with IV steroids and then her antibiotic was changed. She still has adrenal insufficiency and takes a daily replacement dose of hydrocortisone to replace what her body is no longer able to make. To be clear, the antibiotic did not cause the adrenal insufficiency but the higher cortisol demands upon the adrenals exposed it.

Adrenal insufficiency is a label recognized by medical professionals and it means something specific in terms of the adrenals ability to respond (or not) to ACTH produced in the brain.

Long before most people present with AI, they may display symptoms of HPA axis dysfunction which some doctors will call adrenal fatigue.

I personally hate the term adrenal fatigue because so many doctors associate it with quackery and disregard the real symptoms infection can cause in dysregulating the endocrine system.

I would consider doing a saliva cortisol test to see how much cortisol your adrenals are producing across the day if you are concerned about your levels.

Ema

Hi Clodomir,

I would like to know too. Because I am the same as you, many months of antibiotics but no herxing (except significantly increased depression)....

I have Bartonella and Lyme and I've been taking Clarithromycin 500 1/d for about 2 months now.
In the beginning i had a mild herx raction; some headache and some joint pain, wich i usually don't have. Those symptoms faded away after couple of weeks. I am, however, improving smal step by step. I take biofilm destroying agents* with it and berberin.
* I was prescribed biofilm defense (r) but i also took some lumbrokinase and EDTA with it.

The interesting thing is that i recently ran out of clarithromycin and i took some azithromycin which i had left from an earlier AB course. I experienced herxing the day after but now with other symptoms; i had a sudden flu like feeling with cold chills for a few hours and gastric pain and diahhrea. I had this 2 times, allways the day after i took it.
I think the kind of AB matters a lot.

I have Bartonella and Lyme and I've been taking Clarithromycin 500 1/d for about 2 months now.
In the beginning i had a mild herx raction; some headache and some joint pain, wich i usually don't have. Those symptoms faded away after couple of weeks. I am, however, improving smal step by step. I take biofilm destroying agents* with it and berberin.
* I was prescribed biofilm defense (r) but i also took some lumbrokinase and EDTA with it.

The interesting thing is that i recently ran out of clarithromycin and i took some azithromycin which i had left from an earlier AB course. I experienced herxing the day after but now with other symptoms; i had a sudden flu like feeling with cold chills for a few hours and gastric pain and diahhrea. I had this 2 times, allways the day after i took it.
I think the kind of AB matters a lot.

azithromycin really isn't the best for that I think?