• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Borigini - Psych Today - at it again - stupid, nasty comments - No clue in his head

muffin

This may already be posted since there were many nasty comments made by us sick at this simpering, worthless, @ss. I don't know if we should HIT HIM HARD with more nasty comments or just ignore him too. Guess he didn't "get it" the last round of Jihadist comments.
So: Hit him or ignore him? Thoughts????

MLV Joins XMRV As The Latest Unproven Cause of Chronic Fatigue ...
By Dr. Mark Borigini
The researchers did not find XMRV, as had been erroneously reported last month by a variety of sources. A paper published by the CDC at that time found no XMRV or other MLV-related viruses in patients with the syndrome. ...
Psychology Today Blogs - http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog
Overcoming Pain
Why people experience chronic pain, and the power they have to de-intensify it.
by Mark Borigini http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ause-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/comments?page=1
MLV Joins XMRV As The Latest Unproven Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
I want my MLV. Published on August 23, 2010

The spinmeisters are spinning, the scientific community remains unsatisfied, and the chronic fatigue syndrome patient continues on the roller coaster ride provided by research demonstrating replicating retroviruses that is not always replicated in different research labs.
In a paper published today by "The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences", scientists found traces (in the form of gene sequences) of murine leukemia virus- (MLV) related viruses in 32 of 37 chronic fatigue syndrome patients; but in only 3 of 44 healthy blood donors.
The researchers did not find XMRV, as had been erroneously reported last month by a variety of sources. A paper published by the CDC at that time found no XMRV or other MLV-related viruses in patients with the syndrome.
Dr. Harvey Alter of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the senior author of the work published today, stressed that his study does not prove that any of these viruses causes harm. It may be that individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome are more vulnerable to infection, including infection due to the several MLV-related viruses found in the patients in this latest research
MLV are known to cause cancer and neurological problems in mice, but it is not known whether they cause any diseases in human beings. XMRV is among several different members of the MLV family; and its conspicuous absence from the results in this study means that there remains no resolution as to the role XMRV may play in chronic fatigue syndrome.
It remains unclear why only two research teams have found evidence of these retroviruses. It is possible that different research teams are using significantly different methods of detection; and federal health officials are attempting to standardize the process. Of concern is the fact that the head of the federal tissue safety laboratory has been unable to isolate XMRV, whereas the group in Reno, Nevada claims to have done so.
Despite all the uncertainty, certain individuals are calling for treating chronic fatigue syndrome with agents used to treat another retrovirus, HIV. The pharamaceutical companies, while always interested in a new market for their wares, are wisely demurring, citing the need to await stronger evidence that such viruses cause chronic fatigue syndrome before launching large clinical trials of anti-HIV drugs for the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome.
So, there was no conspiracy this summer. There was no consensus this summer. There was just summer.It would behoove us to reflect on all the vitriol and misinformation that seems to be the only thing that XMRV has been shown to cause this long, hot summer.

Min

Please don't encourage this dinosaur by clicking on his link, just feel very, very sorry for his fibromyalgia patients.

I read that the more hits he gets, the more he is paid, which is why he talks such bollards, but don't know if that's true.

muffin

Well, since I posted his stupid little article, there is no reason for others to go read his trash. And there are just so many nasty comments directed at him right now that it may not be necessary to add anymore - our points were made and he was called some pretty terrible names and demands that he leave the profession.

I guess IGNORE this gnat as well as ERV. Just nasty, stupid people trying to inflame us sick and push up their page hits. Once again - ignore the gnats and rats.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I sent in a reply. It was a response to another poster, but I thought it was a good opportunity to educate everyone who reads this blog.

This is only the second time I've responded to an article, the other time being to Mr. Dove. If anyone sees how I could have improved it, please let me know as I hope to write in to other articles in the future.

From Dubliner: "Nero, don't tar all psychologists with the same brush as Borigini does all CFS patients. Psychology has moved quite some distance in the last two decades from a time when we viewed many illnesses including many psychiatric illnesses as resulting primarily from emotional trauma."

Dubliner, I wish this were true. The CDC's Reeves just published this study, "Personality Features and Personality Disorders in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Population-Based Study" last month. The CDC website prominently displays a link to "Childhood Adversity" that contains the following quotes: "Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating illness that can sometimes occur in response to a stressor or a challenge." "Early adversity may thus increase a persons risk to develop CFS . . . Therefore, childhood trauma may be an important risk factor for CFS." Adding the caveat that "a risk factor is not 'the cause' of a disorder," the article nonetheless leaves the impression that CFS is a psychosocial illness. Careful review of the research supporting these views will show enormous flaws in study design, cohort selection, and instruments used to arrive at these conclusions. The CDC site discourages medical tests and proposes "treatments" such as CBT and GET.

This is disturbing on many levels:

1. The CDC is looked up to as experts by doctors and patients around the world.

2. The very limited research dollars that have been allotted to the study of CFS are being wasted on inadequate and inappropriate research studies instead of being used to further the understanding of the medical aspects of this very real disease.

3. There is no proof that the kinds of "treatments" recommended significantly help people living with this disease (despite many flawed studies), and there are reports of harm being done to patients.

4. This type of "research" impacts a patient's ability to get adequate medical care and disability, and support from friends and family.

5. Not only is the psychosocial theory short on supporting evidence, it ignores the thousands of articles documenting the biological realities of CFS.

In short, the idea that "psychiatric illnesses as resulting primarily from emotional trauma" is alive and well and continues to do damage. And when truly disturbing evidence begins to turn up that the cause might actually be a retrovirus along the lines of HIV instead of admitting any weakness in the theory, we get headlines such as "MLV Joins XMRV As The Latest Unproven Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome."

As a patient struggling to live with CFS, it wasn't "just summer" for me. Despite being mostly homebound and very ill, I felt I was finally being taken seriously by serious researchers who were trying to do science in the best possible way. And, I just have to say, there was consensus this summer.

Summers over, Mr. Borigini; its time to go back to school.

Trooper

You know that theory that says given enough time and a typewriter, a monkey would almost certainly write the complete works of Shakespeare?

They are not there yet - but websites like this (even though I didn't click), are the best places to see evidence for this thought experiment in action.

Poor monkeys - go on, have a banana.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Thank you, villagelife.

I just saw one thing I wish I'd changed:

In short, the idea that "psychiatric illnesses as resulting primarily from emotional trauma" is alive and well and continues to do damage.

I should have used the beginning of the poster's quote and left out the psychiatric part:

In short, the idea that "many illnesses . . . as resulting primarily from emotional trauma" is alive and well and continues to do damage.

Oh well, next time . . .

floydguy

It's really unclear why someone would go to such a jack*** for pain. Don't people do internet searches to check out their doctor? I have no interest in going to an MD that would write such drivel.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Mindy posted.

MLVs versus XMRV
The Murine Leukemia Viruses that Alter et. al. found are--as Dr. Alter told me in a telephone interview--variants or mutations of XMRV. Just like there are variants of HIV, hepatitis C and virtually every other virus known to man, so there will be variants of XMRV. That's what viruses do: they mutate.

Indeed, Dr. Judy Mikovits, principal investigator of the first study linking XMRV to patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, has already found mutations of XMRV in her study samples.

Mindy Kitei
CFS Central

muffin

And Mindy's well written words should be the end of this! Can't get better than Mindy quoting Alter and Mikovits! Bet Borigini won't understand what she's saying. What a fool that man is.
THE END...

Sunshine

Is this the same American doctor who previously called CFS patients something like, the 'Jihad terrorists of health?' after hearing about the SCIENCE paper and XMRV?

If so, it increasingly seems that equalityphobia and ME/CFS is similiar to homophobia and HIV.

What is interesting is both involve a retrovirus, hatred of the infected, and a miniority group.

The extreme irony here, is the best people to understand this malignant drive against us (e.g. the origins of it), is psycholgists. Yet it is themselves who maintain xenophobic reactions against ME/CFS patients through their own psychological theories. Which going on this second outburst from him Dr Mark Borigini has possibly been influenced by, short of attending a private Mussolini boys school as a child.

I would dearly love to find some other groups in society to defend us, and show other people what goes on in the ME/CFS universe at the hands not of thugs on the street, but by doctors themselves. (A unique finding in health care). No other disease has public disgust of patients by doctors, NONE. Period. If it wasn't so sad, it would be genuinely interesting to study this all on an academic level.

muffin

Jimbob: Everyone has a little teeny one but you, sweetheart. We have been through this before. You are THE MAN! Now never you mind about this dickhead. We ignore people like this.

And yes, he was the one who called us Jihadists, etc. But we did such a number on him it was amazing. Nailed him but good. We trashed him on the doctor's reviews by simply posting what he wrote about us JIHADISTS. That damaged his reputation by using his own rope to hang him with. Thing is, this guy is so friggin stupid he keeps coming back for more.

Psych Today is so fluffy nothing that they could not get decent doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists to write for them as it would damage the doctor's reputation. So they just get moron losers like this guy. Do not bother with him as you just drive up his page count.

muffin

Well, I am a big nasty Northern Chick! But I now live in the South. I do like the Southern Boys!!!

Min

gracenote, Borigini is a rheumatologist not a psychologist - he sees fibromyalgia patients (can you imagine that?)