• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Books about living with or overcoming illness

Does anyone know of any books of peoples stories who live with or have overcome illness. It doesn't have to be ME, things like cancer etc are probably more common. Preferably something recent and modern so I can see if its on kindle, or maybe one about a young person. Just something that makes you think, yes I will keep going I can get through this.

Thanks

helen1

There's Toni Bernhard's How to be Sick, a Buddhist inspired look at how she (a person with CFS ME) does her best to be happy regardless of the illness. She's got a new one coming out in a similar vein. Highly recommend.

She responded on this forum somewhere when her book was being discussed. And she has a website/blog.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
You might find this book interesting. It's on Kindle and you can even "look inside."

41ohtPxmd%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Laurie Edwards has an M.F.A. and teaches health and science writing at Northeastern University. She has had several chronic illnesses since childhood. Her blog www.achronicdose.com receives several thousand monthly visitors and is linked to more than 180 medical blogs. Edwards is author of Life Disrupted: Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties, named one of 2008s Best Consumer Health Books byLibrary Journal. She lives outside Boston, Massachusetts.

Thirty years ago, Susan Sontag wrote, "Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship in the kingdom of the well and the kingdom of the sick ... Sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place." Now more than 133 million Americans live with chronic illness, accounting for nearly three-quarters of all health care dollars, and untold pain and disability. There has been an alarming rise in illnesses that defy diagnosis through clinical tests or have no known cure. Millions of people, especially women, with illnesses such as irritable bowel syndrome, chronic pain, and chronic fatigue syndrome face skepticism from physicians and the public alike. And people with diseases as varied as cardiovascular disease, HIV, certain cancers, and type 2 diabetes have been accused of causing their preventable illnesses through their lifestyle choices. We must balance our faith in medical technology with awareness of the limits of science, and confront our throwback beliefs that people who are sick have weaker character than those who are well. Through research and patient narratives, health writer Laurie Edwards explores patient rights, the role of social media in medical advocacy, the origins of our attitudes about chronic illness, and much more. What The Noonday Demon did for people suffering from depression, In the Kingdom of the Sick does for those who are chronically ill.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Kingdom-Si...tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1372275576&sr=1-1

Misfit Toy

Right now I am reading "You Are Not Your Illness" by a woman who has MS. She loses her ability to walk or do almost anything without help. IT's awful.

However, she has a bit of a silver lining. She has a husband who adores her even though she can't do much at all. She has lots of money for aides and her husband is uber well off. I think it's an interesting read, but one thing that she doesn't mention is how your illness might become who you are due to loss of money, help, etc. That changes the perspective.

It's still a good read, but I like books where people don't just deal with an illness, but the loss of people and financial means.

I still love the book, "Running on Empty" by Katrina Berne. One of my first CFS reads and still one of the best.

Firestormm

Regrettably, Deric died the other day, but his book, about his wife who had ME was award winning, see here, and is still available. Also apparently was dramatised on TV and might have become a film.

Diana's Story

In 1971, Deric Longden's wife Diana fell ill with the mysterious disorder known as ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis). She was unable to move without a wheelchair, and was in almost constant pain. Equally distressing, perhaps, was the fact that every doctor she saw was unable to diagnose what was wrong with her. Deric, devoting more and more time to looking after Diana, watched his business gradually fail, and had to neglect his developing career as a broadcaster. He became house husband, nurse and caretaker of the women he loved. "Diana's Story" is told by a writer who can transform the bleakest moment with his warmth and wit. It is an extraordinary funny account of a marriage based on love and on an exceptional sense of humour.

Whilst dated, from reading the tributes recently, it is still acknowledged as one the best reads today. Also on Kindle and audiobook.

Ah. Heres the movie that was made. I didn't actually realise this was about the same thing. Might see if I can watch it somewhere. With Julie Walters and Jim Broadbent:

Wide-eyed and Legless aka The Wedding Gift

The movie chronicles the struggles of Deric and Diana Longden, a happily married couple who try to cope with Diana's inexplicable degenerative disease which causes occasional paralysis of her extremities and periodic blackouts. One day, while attending a literary luncheon, Deric meets Aileen Armitage, a woman novelist with whom he strikes up a close friendship. Diana soon discover their relationship and calls Aileen, asking to meet her.

Diana and Deric have an ideal marriage: they thrive in each other's company, they're funny, and they enjoy their two grown children and Deric's dotty mother; the trouble is, Diana can no longer walk and her malady defies medical diagnosis. To care for Diana, Deric is letting his business slide, but at a civic luncheon, he is seated next to Aileen Armitage, a novelist who is blind. They have a nice time, and on the sly, Diana contacts Aileen to made an odd request. Diana's declining health and her resolve bring this triangle of unlikely friends to a surprising place.

xchocoholic

I don't know their book names but Dr. Sarah Myhill, Dr Teri (sp?) Wahls and Dr Mark Hyman have some good info on healing from chronic illnesses. Their info can be found on the web for free too tho. These are just three names of integrative / functional doctors that popped into my head. Anything by the DAN (Defeat Autism Now) community will help too.

FWIW tho, keep in mind that everyone is unique and may not respond to same treatments as others. Although most people seem to benefit by eliminating their food intolerances and toxic chemicals. Seeing an integrative or functional doctor may provide more benefit than just going this alone. I'd try going it alone at first tho if money is a problem. They're going to have you look at your diet right away anyways. tc ... x

invisiblejungle

There's Toni Bernhard's How to be Sick, a Buddhist inspired look at how she (a person with CFS ME) does her best to be happy regardless of the illness. She's got a new one coming out in a similar vein. Highly recommend.

She responded on this forum somewhere when her book was being discussed. And she has a website/blog.

I really liked Toni Bernhard's book. I was a bit apprehensive about buying it, since I've read so many self-help/health books, and most of them are crap, but this one was surprisingly satisfying. She's been bedridden for 10 years due to ME, and she describes contemplative and meditative practices to cope with the day-to-day struggles of illness.

an incredible, INCREDIBLE read: "love and fatigue in america" by roger king. it's affected me so profoundly. so weird to see my exact symptoms and feelings illustrated in such beautiful, poignant language.