New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Book out now 'Science, Politics, .......and ME' by Ian Gibson and Elaine Sherriffs

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Jo Best, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

@mango

Just tried to send you a smiley face but it failed twice. Just imagine it. Am really looking forward to the book which Amazon prime gets here quickly. Another try
    Edit: also failed!!

MEMum, Jo Best and mango like this.
  2. JohnM

JohnM Senior Member

West Yorkshire
    Ordered, and request to publisher to create Kindle version also actioned :)

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I bet there's some ten-year-old kid who could handle the file conversion to an e-pub version (the rest of us are the wrong generation!).

MEMum likes this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

It sounds like it could be interesting. He previously led a committee of UK parliamentarians that enquired into the science of ME in the mid-2000s. It was called by many the Gibson (Parliamentary) Inquiry. I spent a number of days writing a submission detailing how the (UK) Medical Research Council had been biased in how it was approaching ME funding, the problems/bias in the way it drew up its research strategy, et cetera. Others also made submissions. Hopefully he learned from that.

MEMum, cirrus, Laelia and 8 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Ordered. :thumbsup:

MEMum and Jo Best like this.
  6. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Ian Gibson's in Brussels, by the way, for a meeting organised by the European ME Alliance with Members of the European Parliament. The original presss release is here - http://www.euro-me.org/news-Q12017-002.htm
    See Nancy Hoylandt's Twitter feed for updates @NvHoylandt

MEMum, cirrus, Jan and 3 others like this.
  7. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

I hardly dare write this, but...

I rashly ordered 3 copies, thinking, 1 for me, 1 for my GP and 1 for my MP.

They arrived today.

So far I've waded my way through various introductory bits and chapter 1, and I'm so disappointed. Such a muddle of bits and pieces, I can't see anyone not already committed bothering to read on. I can't possibly ask my GP or MP to read this, however good the later chapters might be.

I hope I'm in a minority of 1. Maybe nursing a fractured shoulder from a fall last week has addled my brain.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong!

8. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Sorry, but I can't. I didn't want to be the first to say it. Needed a good editor.

9. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

My copy hasn't been delivered yet. First review up on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1543183786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488798411&sr=8-1&keywords=science politics and me

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Cornishbird, cirrus and Jan like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for the reviews. We've seen a lot of people struggle to explain the whole scandal in a clear and accurate manner. It's darn complicated. Praise be for David Tuller!

11. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

The two copies I ordered (one for me, one for Canada's Health Minister) are supposed to be delivered next Wednesday. I'll follow-up with my opinion when I can.

Your preliminary reviews are disappointing, @trishrhymes and @Chrisb . I certainly wouldn't forward a book likely to do our cause more harm than good.

MEMum, lilpink, Tyto alba and 3 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Actually @slysaint, I was a bit worried by the promotional blurb you quote. The language wasn't quite right e.g.

And a bit repetitive and slightly too hyperbolic to to be credible if the reader is not already very aware of the issues.

It made me decide to wait to hear the reviews.

Those promoting this book might want to rewrite the blurb.

Like others, I am grateful for the effort that has been put into the book, and the intent.

MEMum and Joh like this.
  13. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

My copy is scheduled to arrive on Monday. Second review on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1543183...98411&sr=8-1&keywords=science politics and me

MEMum, Cornishbird, cirrus and 4 others like this.
  14. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

MEMum, cirrus and Joh like this.
  15. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK

Heart sink! I have just ordered two copies and feeling guilty about spending so many pennies. Now I wish I had read your post first @trishrhymes .

MEMum, Binkie4, Chrisb and 1 other person like this.
  16. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Let's hope you disagree with me. It has some good stuff in it. Some people will like it.

MEMum, Joh and Countrygirl like this.
  17. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    I assume it has been privately printed, so there won't have been any professional editing. Perhaps it is a case of excellent content, but just needs tidying up. If so, then for us and the 'converted' it will be fine, but if it is used for educational purposes.......say for a GP or an MP................not so good. We don't want to just preach to the choir though..........we need a book that we can give to 'disbelievers' or the 'uneducated' ...(I mean GPs here :) ).........

I still wish I had seen your post though before parting with a scarce supply of pennies...:bang-head::(

Cornishbird, SamanthaJ and Joh like this.
  18. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

Maybe we should start some kind of lending library?

MEMum and Countrygirl like this.
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

MEMum, Jan, Joh and 2 others like this.
  20. char47

char47 Senior Member

Yes I'm afraid I sadly have to agree. The content is great but I could never give it to anyone who isnt already 'sold' on the situation. And then, whats the point?
    It's such a shame & i hate to say it because it's clear that a great deal of hard work & heart has gone into it. But at times i found it incredibly difficult to read simply because of the number of typos, poor sentence structure & lack of appropriate punctuation, having to re read sentences several times in order to grasp it. And although at my worst I cant even understand a simple written paragraph & often struggle with pretty cogintive dysfunction, when i'm at my very best (which i was when reading it) I can usually manage even quite intellectual literature, so this wasnt a brain fog issue on this occasion.
    To be honest even a simple volunteer proof read would have helped.

All that said i am hugely greatfull to the authors for their time, care & willingness to wade in to what is a difficult subject. But i fear the typos at the very least will discredit the content for anyone who is skeptical at the outset.

I am very happy to give my copy to anyone who would like it & is happy to PM me with their address, & i'll post it on.

MEMum, Hutan, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.