• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ Opinion - "Missing the psychosocial diagnosis—a form of institutionalised malpractice" !!!

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
There are more comments on this Opinion piece now at the bottom of the page - https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2018/05/2...osis-a-form-of-institutionalised-malpractice/ . Does anybody else want to add a comment to draw attention to the gaping holes in their argument?

Done:

"no physical cause found". Our understanding of the human body is in the embryonic stage. Scientists are still discovering body parts. To make the assumption that our current testing for disease is full and complete is obviously wrong-headed. To go further and jump to the assumption that a patient's physical pain is psychological in origin is patently dangerous. Do not ignore the medical system's history and practice of psychologizing diseases they have yet to understand. It is the single biggest cause of iatrogenic harm.

Alesh

It doesn't help our case to bring out the Nazi card. Yes the CFS/ME patients are victims and it is happening for longer than Auschwitz, but the similarities end there. I still have the freedom to do whatever I want or able to and see whatever doctor I can, plus try any of the off-label treatments. Even if you removed all psychosomatic models from medicine tomorrow, the CFS/ME patients are still going to be sick.

If Wessely retracted all his statements and papers on CFS/ME tomorrow, it wouldn't change my daily life very much. The rare doctor that is aware of CFS/ME at all in my country would tell me "go home, there is no cure" instead of telling me "you might want to try some CBT". Neither one is of any help to me.

Oh and this article of the topic was really poor, I plan to email the authors my rebuttal.

Of course I don't know how severe your illness is. I can say with all honesty that I have suffered as if I were in Auschwitz not 11 months like Primo Levi or 3 days like Viktor Frankl but 20 years. ME looks like it is not from this world it is a ghastly disease. Even if I recovered I would never be normal again. Psychosomatics solely is to be blamed for our torment.