• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

blurry vision....exercises?

determined

I have started back to work full time (and then some!) after several decades of disabling fatigue and fibro symptoms. I am getting by, but my latest symptom is that I get blurry vision almost every day. I just had an eye exam, and usually in the mornings my vision is fine.

I read a bit about possible trigger points in the eye muscles. Does anyone have experience with these, and if you have had this problem, do certain eye exercises help?

Last edited:

Esther12

No idea I'm afraid, but good to hear you've already improved. Best of luck with it all.

I get blurry vision too. I believe mine is from adrenaline. It is easy for me to overexert and get more epinephrine (adrenaline) released. Early in the day I don't have the blurriness IIRC.

I believe it is also from eye muscles fatiguing easily, as my other muscles do.

I have Fibro and use myofascial release therapy for it. I haven't heard of the eye trigger points, so that is interesting to me. It makes sense there would be but I hadn't thought of it.

xchocoholic

Low blood sugar will do this. Not sure what else. Diabetics are told to eat something sweet prior to exercising. What they don't say is that people with low blood sugar, even mild, may need to do thus too. I need dextrose etc every 20 minutes when active.

Congratulations on improving. Can I ask what you did ? x

xchocoholic

oops. I just reread this and saw you were looking fir eye exercises not complaining of visual problems when exercising. I'll leave my post anyway tho in case it applies. Working burns calories too.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
the main thing I've heard of using eye exercises for is problems focusing the eyes together and suchlike. This can sometimes be a problem in brain injury and neurological disease, though anyone can get it (and some pro sports players use the same training to improve their peripheral vision, etc.)

http://www.visiontherapy.org/
http://nora.cc/

peggy-sue

Focussing uses muscles. (you have to pull or relax the lens into the correct shape)

accommodating from light to dark uses muscles, (you have to open the pupil wide)

just moving your eyes to read uses muscles in all sorts of complicated ways.

Even talking uses muscles in your ears - you have to relax a tiny muscle (called the stapedus muscle) - inside your ears or you would deafen yourself when you talked.

All these muscles will tire in exactly the same way as muscles in your legs will.

PennyIA

I'm still working and find myself struggling with blurry vision while working on the computer in the afternoon. The 'experts' recommend spending a few moments focusing at a further distance then coming back. That seems to make things worse for me and I assume if it's related to the fact that the eye muscles are tired from the work they are doing that trying to focus at a distance is more work and they aren't happy about that. Instead I close my eyes for about four to five seconds, then blink a few times. When I try to focus back on my computer, it's much better.

Not sure it'll work for you or what kind of work your doing. But taking a five second time out once or twice should allow you to see if it helps at all.

peggy-sue

:p

I have been known to use just one eye at a time in order to let the other eye's muscles rest.

It's fine for tv watching - you don't need stereoscopic vision for that.

rosie26

:p

I have been known to use just one eye at a time in order to let the other eye's muscles rest.

It's fine for tv watching - you don't need stereoscopic vision for that.

:lol: no blinking exercise is required either for tv.

determined

Thanks all for the comments. I have an appointment with an optometrist soon and will hopefully get more information about what is going on.....

Xchocoholic, I had been working part time for several years, but the methylation supplements made enough of a difference for me to decide to try working full time. While I am not cured by a long shot, the supplements seem to have shifted my symptoms....for now anyway, it's working okay. I take close to homeopathic doses and have never increased. They are very powerful.

xchocoholic

Thanks. I couldn't tolerate the methylation supplements due to digestive pain and feeling toxic on these. Good to hear these helped you tho : )

btw, I'd forgotten about a vision restoration protocol I learned a few years ago. I tried it a few times but then forgot about it. You put raw honey in your eyes and expect it to burn. The burning subsides after a few times from my experience. Then rinse your face with Luke warm water. I did this in the shower.

Several times a day, Exercise your eyes by looking right, left, up and down. This strengthens the muscles.

You don't need a lot of honey and most of it will be rinsed out by the tears it causes.

hth ... x

xchocoholic

Forgot to say, I was told to only use the honey once a day.

I was taught this by a friend and can't attest to the safety other than it didn't bother my eyes and made them feel better after the first 2-3 times.

I did this for several months. tc .. x

peggy-sue

Honey is antiseptic.:thumbsup:

If you ever need to wash your eyeballs in a pain-free manner, use no-tears baby shampoo.

I can attest to that working beautifully - and painlessly.

xchocoholic

Hi @peggy-sue,

I think part of the healing process involves making the eyes tear. That part stops after doing this a few times. The first time comes with a warning that it's going ti burn. I need to do this again because my eyes are feeling goopie.

peggy-sue

When my eyes are like that, I first use baby shampoo, then artificial tears - OTC Hypromellose.

Dry eyes are a fairly big problem I have - particularly since Climate Eric ;) passed.

Hypromellose is more lubricating than very watery tears.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
the "vision therapy" I mentioned is not to exercise the eye muscles (the theory here is that they don't need strenghtening).

Some of the techniques make it easier for the eyes to focus, or provide an easier environment for someone with cognitive problems to focus the eyes or keep paying attention.

Some of the techniques train (or re-train) the brain (these might be less successful in someone with continuing injury process).