• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood/urine test results. Whats next?

Hi all, after some patient waiting I received my blood exams and urine test results from my doctor.

According to the test, I'm very deficient in Biotin, moderately deficient in Vit E and A, but fine in the other micronutrients. I've started supplementing all of the above in higher doses in hopes of fixing my problem

On to methylation:

my b12 was off the charts, and so was my homocysteine. Interestingly enough one test indicated it was in the normal range while the other tests told me I had too much in my body. Folate was fine but I was moderately deficient in b6, the problem here is that I always have an adverse reaction to b6 thanks to my CBS mutation.

I also tested very high for magnesium, I take approximately 1.2g of magnesium glycinate/malate combination every night so I understand this, but my glycinate was low

As for amino acids, I was low on:

Cystathionine
Arginine/orthinine
Histidine
Isoleucine
Valine
Alanine
Asparagine
Glutamine
Tyrosine
Cystine
Glycine
Carnosine
Pyroglutamic acid
Lactic acid
Pyruvic acid

I am now supplementing BCAA's, at least the ones that are readily available and not sulfur based.

And I was very high on:

Taurine
Benzoic acid
Ammonia
3-methylhistidine
Urea
2-hydroxyphenylacetic Acid

Onto hormonal:

My thyroid was low, so I'm supplementing more iodine now

My testosterone showed up around 410 but my free test was very low, so my doctor wants to put me on HCG

My estro is high and my progesterone is low, my DHEA is also borderline low

---------------------------------------------------------------------
My problems are brain fog, anxiety, speech impediment, loose stools and very low energy. I had a food allergy test done and I've eliminated most trigger foods so now I'm feeling a little better, but I wanna fix my problems once and for all. I also have a stool test on the way.

Here are my questions:

1) is too much magnesium dangerous? Should I supplement glycine on the side?

2) is HCG at the age of 23 a good idea? Can't it shut down my own test production?

3) will DHEA fix itself with HCG or do I have to supplement?

4) what role does Biotin play in mental health?

5) how to I lower the amino acids that I have in excess? I eat a lot of protein as I like the weight train, should I lower that amount?

I know it's a lot of info to take in at once, but can anyone experienced please chime in? I'll be forever thankful

Mij

1) is too much magnesium dangerous? Should I supplement glycine on the side?

I think if your kidneys are working well it's ok. I took tons of mg shots over the course of many years with no problems. You have to watch your calcium levels though, this could drop with too much mg.

Regarding your amino acids, I had/have many low/below normal levels but I'm not sure what it all means. Taking the co-factors (b vitamins) and digestive enzymes has helped balance things out.

I think if your kidneys are working well it's ok. I took tons of mg shots over the course of many years with no problems. You have to watch your calcium levels though, this could drop with too much mg.

Regarding your amino acids, I had/have many low/below normal levels but I'm not sure what it all means. Taking the co-factors (b vitamins) and digestive enzymes has helped balance things out.
Which digestive enzymes are you taking? Betaine HCL has really helped me out. I can't tolerate most b vit's right now, I have a bottle of 500mcg of mb12 sitting on my drawer that I'm a little afraid to use:confused:

I'm also +/+ for COMT, GAD1, DRD1, DRD2, SLC6A3, several MTRR, only two MTR, MAO-A, NOS2, NDUF, BHMT08 and +/- for CBS, DAO-A and both VDR's

Valentijn

Folate was fine but I was moderately deficient in b6, the problem here is that I always have an adverse reaction to b6 thanks to my CBS mutation.
I'm not doubting that you have a bad reaction to B6, but CBS isn't capable of causing that reaction.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
My thyroid was low, so I'm supplementing more iodine now
My endocrinologist warned me against taking supplemental iodine. For me, it caused a transient elevated TSH, with a normal T4, classified as subclinical hypothyroidism when that pattern occurs. I haven't taken any since. It is not a benign supplement, and I wouldn't tinker with it for those reasons.
Consequences of excess iodine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3976240/

Iodine-induced hypothyroidism
Vulnerable patients with specific risk factors might have an increased risk of failing to adapt to the acute Wolff–Chaikoff effect.7 Susceptible patients include those with autoimmune thyroid disease; a previous history of surgery, 131I or antithyroid drug therapy for Graves disease; subacute thyroiditis; postpartum thyroiditis; type 2 amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis (AIT); hemithyroidectomy; IFNα therapy; and concomitant use of potential goitrogens, such as lithium. Failure to escape from the acute Wolff–Chaikoff effect might also be more likely during fetal development, a period when the hypothalamic–pituitary–thyroid axis is still immature, and during neonatal life. [....]

Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism
In some susceptible patients, an excess iodine load provides a rich substrate for increased production of thyroid hormones. Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism (the Jod–Basedow phenomenon) was first described in the early 1800s, when thyrotoxicosis was observed to be more common among patients with endemic goiter treated with iodine supplementation than in individuals without goiter.14 Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism might be transient or permanent, and risk factors include nontoxic or diffuse nodular goiter, latent Graves disease and long standing iodine deficiency.7 In addition, iodine-induced hyperthyroidism in euthyroid patients with nodular goiter in iodine-sufficient areas has also been reported when iodine supplementation is excessive.15

I'm not doubting that you have a bad reaction to B6, but CBS isn't capable of causing that reaction.
I have very similar, interchangeable reactions to eating sulfur and b6, so I assumed they were related

Have you looked at a possible genetic reason?
Have you seen this thread?
Partial Biotinitase Deficiency, 23andme Test, BTD GENE POLL?
Very interesting, I'm browsing through the thread but I can't find the symptoms of low biotin. I know biotin is responsible for macronutrient metabolism and I have very loose stools so that might be related

My endocrinologist warned me against taking supplemental iodine. For me, it caused a transient elevated TSH, with a normal T4, classified as subclinical hypothyroidism when that pattern occurs. I haven't taken any since. It is not a benign supplement, and I wouldn't tinker with it for those reasons.
Consequences of excess iodine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3976240/
I'm currently taking 325mcg of iodine as opposed to 225mcg I was taking, I hope that's not too much

After analyzing my blood tests, my doctor believes my low cortisol, low DHEA, low testosterone, low progesterone, low estrone and high estradiol is the bigger cause of my problems.

I don't know how to address this rare combination of low cortisol and low DHEA, but the doctor prescribed 25mg of DHEA... That seems a little sketchy considering that pregnenolone is a better option. For testosterone and estradiol I'm starting HCG 1000u twice a week and anastrazole .5mg twice a week as per doctors orders.

So far I took the DHEA this morning with an energy drink and l-theanine, and I felt a boost in energy uncharacteristic of the energy drink. I've heard DHEA converts to estro in the male body so I'm gonna start DIM while I wait for my order of anastrazole and HCG to arrive.

Will exogenous HCG be a problem for a 23 year old man? I don't wanna shut down my own test production or cause irreversible damage here:(

Last edited: