• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood labs ferritin

Belgiangirl

Stopped looking for answers 5 years ago, but by coïncidence I found my blood labs again.

Seems for over 15 years they are telling the same thing:

- low ferritin (stays very low even though iron supplementation by mouth)
The iron or transferin values may be normal, too low or even too high! Still ferritin will be very low.

- aparently also low folicid acid (which i only know as of yesterday...)

- anti parietal cells in intestines
- small cysts in kidneys

Significantly deviating:

- RBC: too few, too large (but not so deviating that it is extremely unter normal persons so do
so MCV and MCH too high
- Blood plates: too few often
- WBC: these too few, these too many (mixed image always)

Anion gap -whatever it may be: borderline.
Cortisol levels screwed.

Plasma yellow, bilirbubin too high.

Usually neutrophiles too less, lymphocytes too much
Immature reticulocytes : too few
Erytroblasts: too much
Monocytes: too much

Akfa 2 globuline faction: too less
Albumine fraction: too much
Anion gap: too high
Lipases: too high
Fosphate: too low
Alkalic phosphatose too low

Urine:
WBC esterases
WBC: too much

---> this is not one blood lab.
This are many bloodlabs aggregated during +10 years, every finding that is repeated (so more than once) has been put down.

Hematalogy (only had it done once)
- Complement C3 : --
- cortisol non-morning: ++++
- CD19: ++
- CD3-CD16.56 borderline
- CD3-CD16.56 abs Natur Kill ---
- C4 --

Endometriosis
Very sensitive to chemicals/ allergic
Thymusrest (or hyperplasia ????)
- palpable lymphnodes all over the place

Tested negative for coeliakie.

Polyuri especially at night!!!! Have to wake till 10 times a night to go pee because my urine feels to irritate .... I can't stand this feeling...
Extreme fatigue, muscle fatigue / weaking (extreme), PEM, very dificult to do anything, not bedbound but really housebound, being able to do a bit around the house like 5-6 hours a day but that really is it. Further all textbook symptoms: Sicca complaints, aftosis, swollen lymph nodes, sore throats and hearse voice, ...

Must note that I always also had extreme difficulty moving because of my legs and arms feeling so heavy (while my BMI is 16 and not going up whatever I do...)

Okay I start to realise that this low ferritin and some other deviations have been there all my life and may make sense somehow comebined.

Low ferritin (beyond normal population) - low folicid acid (between borders normal population but on low side)
But too big, deformed, RBC's that are too few ?

This is sth that may make sense combined isn't it?

I think we should all put our labs online in an orderly excell overview so that some epidemiologist outside can start building the general picture.

kangaSue

Your blood results and symptoms can point in a number of directions. Sjogren's Syndrome is the first thing that springs to mind but a lot of things also suggest a kidney problem, either in function or a clearance related problem.

Sjogren's Syndrome can be earlier diagnosed in having a lip biopsy done as the antibodies associated with it can take years to show up as positive. It would still be worth having an ANA and ENA panel run though.

One thing easily overlooked with the kidney is having a narrowed left renal vein affecting venous return of blood to the circulation (Nutcracker Syndrome) but check both the inflow and outflow of both kidneys. A bruit sound may be present to be indicative of either issue so get a doctor to listen for this.

It's not unusual to have Nutcracker Syndrome along with an autoimmune condition and quite often it's a condition among the connective tissue disorders and these includes Sjogren's (as well as Lupus, Scleroderma, MCTD, UCTD, RA)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@Belgiangirl please post numbers and reference ranges for each lab test you mention. Saying something is too high or too low doesn't show the amount of change.

Example for potassium you could write:
4.5 (3.5 - 5.3 mEq/L)

Also, how old are you?

Markus83

Hematalogy (only had it done once)
- Complement C3 : --
- cortisol non-morning: ++++
- CD19: ++
- CD3-CD16.56 borderline
- CD3-CD16.56 abs Natur Kill ---
- C4 --
I would do these tests again to verify and then go and see an immunologist. Did you have the immunoglobulins tested together with IgG subclasses?

Archie

This could be copper issue , and perhaps Vitamin A deficiency . Copper is needed for protein ceruloplasmin ,less copper means less ceruloplasmin and ceruloplasmin is needed also for iron . Vitamin A is another nutrient that us needed for making ceruloplasmin. Iron also needs some good bacteria in the gut that assist to get it absorbed , and if candida or other opportunist pathogens take control in the gut it get`s even more complicated as liver also then start to intervene. Some links to read :

https://www.drlaurendeville.com/articles/iron-deficiency-copper-deficiency/

https://www.drlaurendeville.com/articles/ferritin-chronically/

Copper deficiency is more common than many believe, there has been also fear mongering about copper toxicity which might scare some not to take copper supplements. Copper toxicity is real, but this copper dysregulation ,the name they use it , is also partly becouse of copper deficiency and vitamin A deficiency since those are needed for ceruloplasmin and without ceruloplasmin copper is free copper in the body ,not bound which can cause issues.

Belgiangirl

Hi, I am back with a devastated health. From mild to severe, very stressful events in the last six weeks, leading me not to sleep unless with benzo's, of which you need to elevate the dose of course, etc.

Yesterday I found more of my own labs which left me shocked. I am wondering is this still MECFS?

VitB12: injected myself with it, now I have a toxic overdose. Everyone please be careful using it. It is apparently not that safe...

33/Female/low BMI

- MCV: +97.3
- MCH 32.8
Poliokocytosis (different shapes / wrong shapes of RBC) they used to be too few and too heavy/big and are still.

Neutrophile segments 27.9 (38.9-74.9)
Lymfocytes 55.8 (16.1-46.9)
monocytes 11 (4.0-10.7)
neutrophile segments 1091 (1573-6100 other labs 2000-7000)
NK cells: 6 (7-31)

Chlorine (?) 107 (98-107)
Direct bilirubine 0.38 (<0.30)
Kalium 5.2 (3.5-5.1)

Proteïns
Alfa-2 globulines 6.5 (7.1 - 11.8)
alfa-2 globulines 4.8 (5.2-8.6)
(don't ask me what is the difference)
Complement C3 88 (90-180)

Ferritin low but within normal ranges, all other parameters are high (within normal ranges).

Auto-antibodies...
ANA: positive
1: 160 titer
speckled (no further specification)
ENA-screening: all negative ...

25-OH-Vit D 24.8 (30-100)
Prolactine 41.6 (4.8-23.3) ---> For this the MD ordered an MRI to check for tumor of hypofysis, happily negative.

Everything not mentioned is within normal ranges.

What else?
- extremely tired, joint pains esp in hands and fingers, fingers sideway nails are "peeling off"
- after eating my energy levels drop so deeply I feel like falling over and I need to go to bed
- my time in bed increased
- my mobility decreased heavily (going outside is getting very very rare while I live in a beautiful city and now the sun is shining ...) I needed to ask people to go do groceries for me and to cook for me ...

Always had: extremely low BMI (now how belgium will know who I am and I will hate myself for posting this information publicly but I hope others will do the same - transparency among us all is the only way we can help evolve science because this way they can discover similarities.

EBV VCA IgG of course positive 180U/ml

Urine: too much creatinine positive like always

Am I being hypochondriac?
ANA was never positive before... except with this antiparietal cells

But as said I am extremely tired and can't get over eating anymore, which is a huge problem for me since I am already very thin.

Belgiangirl

Forget to mention: pain feet soles (probably vit B12 overdose)
Sicca in mouth badly
Infection signs around mouth / at lips red spots (which is typically seen in immunodeficient patients)
completely dehydrated lips (but I have this all the time)
eye infection at one side (also all the time)

Don't know if it rings any bells but for me debilitating is also:
- having to pee at night all the time!!
I even took meds for it that seemed extremely bad for the brain... (oxybutinine) and made it difficult for me to find words and everything, it was a disaster and a shock cause my "intelligence" is all what is left of me since the disease... now it seems to be faded away still, although things have cleart up.
Now i am into betmiga. My urologist (which I met once and I had to go back a long time ago) made already clear that i should stop this kind of meds asap. (Think only experience is with older women).
Diabetes insipidus is checked. Is not the answer...
Even now with the betmiga last night I still had to get up like 10 times. Obviously than you have to be lnoger in bed and can only start drinking afternoon, possibly fuelling the problem. Gosh a catheter would so relieve me... I once had it after an operation and i am embarassed to say it was like heaven (while extremely embarassing^10000 - happily i don't allow visitors to come)... :-/

For me it is quiet shocking right now that my immune system is this low (or am I exaggerating?) and on the other hand my ANA coloured positive.
So maybe it is not even MECFS - though I am quiet sure I had it (sick since ±2001) with extremely worse periods and better periods.

All your feedback above now with this results makes more sense.
Indeed going to a hematologist again and an immunologist would be a good start. My problem is I think i have always gone back to the same MD's (internal medicine) never finding anything, except they could note my whole array of symptoms.

Obviously, unfortunately now I am stuck for a couple of weeks but after that: i have very extreme difficulties with making appointments and following them because I am often too weak and too tired to get out of bed / chair / ...

After this post I head right into my bed which is within 2 metres distance, to give an impression ...

Last edited: