• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood glucose and PH strips. How can they help?

I'm a newbie in biology/nutritional science but from all I've gleaned over various info blood sugar and PH balance are important health parameters right? Before I even begin to interpret it and how I wanna deal with it, would it be a good idea to start monitoring these things periodically?

pamojja

With a blood glucose meter one can prevent becoming pre-diabetic, hypoglycemic, or proceed from prediabetes to full T2D. That's done by measuring fasting and post-prandial (after a meal blood-glucose spikes the most, in my case after 1 hour) and adjust meals and other lifestyle-factors.

Everyone is different. But for me measuring blood-glucose regularly prevented going diabetic by adapting to a low carb, high fat diet. Diabetic complications are not to be neglected, it's a main driver for CVD. Which most are dying from.

pamojja

Officially with a fasting above 100 mg/dl and above 140 mg/dl postprandial one is considered prediabetic. Hypoglycemic below 70. Inofficially according to science higher blood-suger damaging the system and accelerating aging starts already at 90 mg/dl fasted. Some, as Dr. Davis Williams who proposes lifestyle-changes for reversing calcification, advises that even postprandial values ideally shouldn't rise at all, for this reason. Which I found verydifficult if not impossible to accomplish in my case. However, wherever you might find yourself by testing - perfectly fine, prediabetic or fully - just trying to move the numbers in the right direction without getting it perfect brought very remarkable improvement to my health.