• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog: Citizen experts challenge Dutch ME/CFS scientists

AndyPR

Lou Corsius, father of an ME patient and Frank Twisk, ME sufferer, are engaged in a scientific battle with two scientists, figureheads of the Expert Center for Chronic Fatigue, part of Radboud University Nijmegen (the Netherlands).

The official complaint to the university relates to an article published in The Lancet in 2011, in which the scientists pose that cognitive behavorial therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) are safe interventions and that CBT and GET lead to recovery of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) in 30% of the patients.

https://corsius.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/citizen-experts-challenge-dutch-mecfs-scientists/

BurnA

Interesting. Their 'strict criterion for recovery' claim was always such pure bullshit.
So, is it up to the university to decide if it should withdraw the article- have I understood it correctly?
Tks. Very interesting.

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
CFS is unjustly considered to be synonymous with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). ME is a neuromuscular disease associated with a complex of symptoms. CFS is a misleading name, because fatigue is just a consequence of ME. Many patients with a diagnosis of CFS turn out to be not a ME patient.

I take it the author's first language is not English, but that still doesn't account for all of the ways in which this passage is confused.