• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Black Seed Extract 'Cures' HIV Patient Naturally

Charles555nc

thanks for letting us know that. if i test positive for EBV and my doc doesnt want me on valtrex or famvir, i think i might add olive leaf extract. could i know the brand you are using? thanks!

Push for Famvir over Valtrex...he will try to tell you they are the same, but Famvir is much more effective, in my experience.

Ema

@Ema

how much did you take, which brand and for how long?

I am interested in trying this.
I took the one sold on Amazon made by Amazing Herbs.

My recollection is of 1 teas twice a day but it's been a while.

I'm sure I didn't take it long enough. It was not the most pleasant tasting and a friend of mine had a respiratory infection so I passed it along after only a few months...

I doubt there is anything to lose for trying it though. You never know!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
When taking herbs, it's good to rotate them, as the viruses adapt to a given formula and then it doesn't work as well. At least, in my case that has been true.

Never tried black seed extract. Sounds intriguing....

Daffodil

Push for Famvir over Valtrex...he will try to tell you they are the same, but Famvir is much more effective, in my experience.

i didnt know it can lower BP..mine is already lowish..thanks for that info

i am thinking of sending away for the EBV Elispot LTT..never had that one before.

also dont think i tried famvir..spent yrs on valtrex..didnt help but lowered rnase l

JAM

Jill
Take caution when taking OLE, it has proven blood pressure lowering effects.
It has proven blood pressure REGULATING effects. For some people that means lowering the BP, for me it meant raising it. My BP is almost up to the normal range for the first time in my life.

dan062

At some point I was desperate and tried a bottle. Can't tell if it did anything, but by far the hardest thing to swallow I ever put in my mouth. Like ground up liquified concentrated pine needles. Get capsules.

I actually don't find it too bad. But then again, I'm coming from raw garlic, so anything is a (vast improvement).

BTW, if anyone is looking for an easy place to find this, just check in any Asian grocery store. You'll definitely be able to find the whole seeds ('kalonji', or 'black seed') which you can either chew or grind and swallow as a powder, and many also sell the oil preparation, which, as @Adlyfrost mentioned, is big as a tonic among Muslims.

I put together a toxicity summary earlier in the week, too. Just to make sure I don't poison myself in the process of trying this.

I have to say, though, that, like @Ema, I haven't been impressed with the results. No changes for the better, as far as I can tell.

dan062

What were you expecting it to change?

My general expectation with trying a medicine, pharmaceutical or natural, is that I will either feel better (conventionally, this is the hope), or worse (a herx). Or at the very least experience some kind of side effect.

If I just feel exactly as I did before my gut instinct is that it's probably doing nothing.

JAM

Jill
My general expectation with trying a medicine, pharmaceutical or natural, is that I will either feel better (conventionally, this is the hope), or worse (a herx). Or at the very least experience some kind of side effect.

If I just feel exactly as I did before my gut instinct is that it's probably doing nothing.
The only thing I've noticed with black seed oil is improvement of my skin issues. I first tried it topically and noticed a huge difference, then added the daily capsule as a preventative measure. I don't think it is known to be a "cure" for any of the possible causes of ME/CFS.

dan062

The only thing I've noticed with black seed oil is improvement of my skin issues. I first tried it topically and noticed a huge difference, then added the daily capsule as a preventative measure. I don't think it is known to be a "cure" for any of the possible causes of ME/CFS.

OK. I was interested in it for its (supposed) anti-viral properties, so was hoping that it would do something to tackle the big issue.

My skin is fine, thankfully!

Mij

It has proven blood pressure REGULATING effects. For some people that means lowering the BP, for me it meant raising it. My BP is almost up to the normal range for the first time in my life.

I have not seen any information that states it raises BP.

JAM

Jill
I have not seen any information that states it raises BP.
It is usually touted for the lowering effects, statistically there aren't many of us who need to raise it. So we hear much more about the lowering effects. The research is out there though.

Tunguska

I actually don't find it too bad. But then again, I'm coming from raw garlic, so anything is a (vast improvement).

I do the raw garlic. The garlic is more like burning pain, the black seed oil triggered a shuddering and choking reflex. Maybe source and brand matter but I prefer the garlic.

JAM

Jill
i didnt know it can lower BP..mine is already lowish..thanks for that info
I am having a really hard time understanding this, and I have seen it from several people here, you are the first one I am going to ask. Why are all the horrible risks of pharmaceutical antivirals worth it, but a slight and manageable possibility of blood pressure regulation will keep you from trying an herb that has very low toxicity? You can monitor your blood pressure on your own and adjust the dosage. You can't test your own liver, or do much about the damage done by the pharmaceuticals. Will you please explain it to me? I am genuinely curious.

Daffodil

hi Jam. I guess I was just doing what the doctors told me too, figuring that herbs wouldn't work. I thought I needed the "big guns".

I have nothing against trying herbs now...it just wasn't the first thing I wanted to do back then.

JAM

Jill
hi Jam. I guess I was just doing what the doctors told me too, figuring that herbs wouldn't work. I thought I needed the "big guns".

I have nothing against trying herbs now...it just wasn't the first thing I wanted to do back then.
Ok, I get that. It is people not taking the OLE because it may lower bp that I'm really curious about.