• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biotin and Methylation

I never experienced the relief I got originally from 300 mcg of Biotin. I'm not sure but I think I tried up to at least 10 mg.

I did increase up to 50mg but without any extra significant benefit. But the good (initial) response on biotin got me thinking and reading on possible causes. I ended up on either a genetic defect (partial biotinidase deficiency) or an oxalate intolerance. The latter seems much more likely since it is asscoiated with leaky gut and salicylate intolerance, from which I also suffer. So, I started eliminating oxalates (mainly nuts, chocolate and potatoes) from my diet five days ago (in addition to the salicylates). For now I can report another gradual boost to my general energy and vast improvement of IBS symptoms. I'll report if things improve further...

sueami

Hi, I'm a new member, and also experimenting with biotin at the moment. So far I had a good response on 5mg for four days, but the effect disappeared. I am now gradually upping my dose, since I read that it might be the trick. Other fora report a good response on 30mg/day. I was wondering how you were doing on the biotin?
SVDmeere, I just popped back onto the site to update my recovery. I quit all supplements, which I had gotten quite out of hand with, dozens and dozens a day, and found a fully recovery as detailed in my signature.

Well, I took up the anti-oxalate pathway with tremendous succes!! I can honestly say I am cured from 90% of all my symptoms (severe IBS, adrenal fatigue, insomnia, anxiety and OCD). This involved cutting all oxalates from the diet, and loading up on Biotin (about 30mg per day: yes, that's mg and not mcg). A pertinent cure also involved cutting most salicylates and FODMAP's too, since some of my symptoms returned when I cheated a bit too much on those molecules. Hence, my diet is very restricted but the benefit is totally worth it! Lots of succes to anyone willing to try this heavy regimen!