• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BioPQQ: PQQ for mitochodrial biogenesis?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have read some marketing copy claiming that scientific studies have shown pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) can increase the new numbers of mitochondria.

One reason I think I cannot tolerate most mitochondrial support supplements is that I suspect I have severe mitochondrial damage from oxidative stress, extreme exercise, prescription drugs, etc. I get overstimulated by taking substance like CoQ10, methylfolate & l-carnitine.

I have been taking NT Factor Energy Lipids powder and I found that to be very supportive and energizing. The marketing copy claims that it supplies raw materials that have been shown in experiments to actually heal cell membranes. I hope this is true!

• Does anyone have experience supplementing PQQ?
  • Do you feel the 'mitochondrial biogenesis' claims to be true?
  • How do you coordinate PQQ with other methlyation supplements like B12 / methylfolate?

drob31

This is next on my list to try after NADH. There's also something called MitoQ which is believe is Co-Q 10 formulated to reach mitochondria.

ahmo

I'm on my second bottle, so I must be taking it for a couple months now. I haven't experienced anything specifically. However these 2 months have been extremely stressful, far more in-the-world enforced activity, and following that I was on the edge of a crash, really feeling the oxidative stress. During this time my body self-tested for more PQQ, some days twice, instead of once/day. My only means of assessing is that I get a very enthusiastic + response from body when I self-test. (I wish I got a - response, and could eliminate a supp from my budget:rolleyes:)

I'm taking it w/ meal, so it's away from folate/B12.

ahmo

@juniemarie ...I'd be happy to...but as I'm just responding to self-testing, and have implemented a number of other things since then as I gain understanding of the NO/ONOO- cycle and the need for lot's of antioxidants...Don't know that I'll have anything concrete to share.;)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
A naturopath suggested giving PQQ a try and it gives me an energy boost on the days I take it.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/heal...inone-brain-health-anti-aging-supplement.html

I only take PQQ before 2 p.m. Several supplement manufacturers make it and I find the Swanson brand (in capsules) is as good as any. Source Naturals makes a tablet form of PQQ and since the 20mg dose is the best buy, I can cut those tablets in half if I just want a 10mg dose. At 20mg/day, it takes me 2 to 3 days to feel the effects kick in.

www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-PQQ-Mind-Tablets/dp/B00BQS87D2

I tried it for a week...it gave me a lot of energy. Unfortunately, I have bad insomnia and the extra energy made sleep even more difficult than usual, so I had to stop.

Changexpert

I tried it for 2 weeks along with ubiquinol (reduced coq10). It did give me some energy, but after reading contradicting studies on PQQ, I stopped taking it.

One study says that PQQ can increase intracellular ROS level while dcreasing GSH (glutathione) level, which is totally opposite of what we want (1). Another study suggests the total opposite (2). In one in-vitro study, researchers proved that PQQ suppresses liver fibrogenesis to prevent progression of liver cirrhosis. The same study suggests that levels of antioxidants like GSH and SOD were improved in mice (3). Similar study can be found here (4). One study even suggests that PQQ provides protection against methylmercury (5).

I personally would take PQQ again because of positive effect it gave me, but the cost is exorbitant. I think it would be a wise idea to measure glutathione level before taking PQQ then compare it after a month or so.

Last edited:
I am currently in ME/CFS remission, which I recently shared here. My ME/CFS started in 2013. My recent remission was achieved after 2 years and 9 months of restoring my GI function, which required a complex anti-fungal treatment protocol. By Spring 2022, I was doing better and attended a wedding. In addition, I also had my PhD defense. However, after attending both these events (which were separated by several weeks), I couldn't move for days. My overall symptomology at that point was better, but I still had PEM that was severe with minimal activity. When I saw my doctor, I explained the situation and he said perhaps it was time to focus on mitochondrial support. I have been seeing the same doctor since 2013, so this conversation about mitochondria had come up in the past. He specifically advised PQQ, NADH, and glutathione.

Given my history of severe reactions, I started with only the glutathione. In the past, I had received glutathione infusions (and worked up to max dosages), so I thought I could handle this supplement without issues. This was not the case. I had severe herx reactions and it took ~6 weeks for me to stabilize. In addition, my anti-fungal treatments had to increase to deal with the worsening side effects such as itching. I think somehow the glutathione was pulling out more underlying yeast/toxins. Most people would have quit taking this supplement, but of course, I did not. Once I stabilized with glutathione, I added PQQ & NADH. I had no issues with these. In Dec 2022, I achieved remission, so mitochondrial support was a part of this and helped me also restore my GI health.

Last edited: