• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biological explanation for wheat sensitivity found

shannah

The essence of it:

"A new study may explain why people who do not have celiac disease or wheat allergy nevertheless experience a variety of gastrointestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms after ingesting wheat and related cereals. The findings suggest that these individuals have a weakened intestinal barrier, which leads to a body-wide inflammatory immune response."

antares4141

The essence of it:

"A new study may explain why people who do not have celiac disease or wheat allergy nevertheless experience a variety of gastrointestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms after ingesting wheat and related cereals. The findings suggest that these individuals have a weakened intestinal barrier, which leads to a body-wide inflammatory immune response."
Yes, seems the reading I have done in the past intimated there is no good science behind the "leaky gut" theory. Or at least that is the impression I got. Which goes against my own experience and gut feelings. IE sometimes I feel like I have been poisoned I am so weak and brain fogged, and feel like I am getting a bed soar if I don't reposition myself every 5 minutes. Can't sit at a computer for more than 5 minutes without getting a "bed sore". The pain migrates to my hip joints and makes me feel like I am going to need a hip replacement every time I move the joint. At least until I stop and put the pressure somewhere else like when I try to use my computer in bed. Than it migrates to my back and scalp. My scalp hurts if I lay my head on a pillow in the same position for too long. My upper spine hurts so bad sometimes I think I am going into heart failure. Pain under the right rib usually after meals. Just to name a few. Too many others to list. Just like would be the case if someone were "really" poisoned.

kangaSue

Elevated levels of D-lactate is widely said to be an indicator of "leaky gut"

Non-invasive markers of gut wall integrity in health and disease;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2980675/

[Translocation of bacteria and their products
Breakdown of the mucosal barrier potentially leads to translocation of microbiota or their toxic products. Two promising plasma markers, reflecting translocation of bacteria or their products, are D-lactate and endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS), which are metabolic products or components of the commensal bacteria of the gastrointestinal tract. D-lactate is only produced by bacteria as a product of bacterial fermentation[10]. Baseline levels of D-lactate in healthy subjects are very low. Increased levels of D-lactate have been correlated with conditions in which the number of bacteria elevates rapidly, including in patients with bacterial overgrowth due to infection, short bowel syndrome, and mesenteric ischaemia[11]. LPS, the major constituent of the outer membrane of Gram-negative bacteria, is released by Gram-negative bacteria when replicating or dying. Increased circulating LPS levels have been related to an impaired mucosal barrier. The presence of LPS can be measured directly in blood, e.g. by the Limulus Amoebocyte Lysate assay[12]. In addition, anti-LPS antibodies can be measured by endotoxin-core antibody (EndoCAb), an indirect measurement of LPS leakage into the circulation[13]. A drop in levels of circulating anti-LPS antibodies is considered to indicate consumption of antibodies to LPS by exposure to LPS[14].]