• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biofilms – the eradication has begun

shannah

Carl

I do not see anything new, biofilms have been known about for a long time. Did you know that anti biofilm substances have been used in antibiotics for some years. N-Acetyl-Cysteine is the most widely used because it dissolves the mucus in the biofilm and in sufficient quantities stops EPS production so that the bacteria cannot produce EPS to reinforce the biofilm. Couple that with other useful substances produces greater effect. Interfase/Interfase+ is an enzyme complex with the + version containing EDTA which binds to metals such as calcium/magnesium and iron which are used to strengthen biofilms. The high requirements most CFS sufferers have for magnesium is probably due to the biofilms using the mineral for their purposes.

Serrapeptase, Nattokinase and Lumbrokinase are enzymes which can also be effective and the first one is used in Interfase and the first two are used in Biofilm Defence. Lumbrokinase is very expensive so not really practical.

I have done a considerable amount of research on biofilms over a long period of time, about 4 years. The best anti biofilm substances I found were amino acids, not the common amino acids but their mirror images, d- isomer which a lot of research has shown triggers the break up of a biofilm, especially when the biofilm is stressed by enzymes. The enzymes cause the biofilm to take up the d- form amino acids which then signals the break up of the biofilm. There are 4 amino acids, D-Tyrosine, D-Leucine, D-Tryptophan & D-Methionine and each addition causes increased biofilm break up.

This seemed like the best bet in beating them until I discovered that the greatest resistance does not come from bacteria, it comes from humans! No one would sell me the amino acids. They will only sell to companies or educational institutes.

Also a strong anti bacterial is needed. Preferably one which does not affect the colonic bacteria. There are many different substances which are antimicrobial. Colloidal Silver proved useful and did destroy a significant portion of the largest biofilm.

shannah

Thanks for your input @Carl & @Tammy
I've tried almost all of the substances listed so far with minimal results. I wonder what's special about what they're using in this study.

valentinelynx

Colloidal Silver proved useful and did destroy a significant portion of the largest biofilm.

If you don't mind, could you clarify a bit? In what context? Are you referring to a lab study or your own experience? What do you mean "the largest biofilm"? thanks.

Hip

The best anti biofilm substances I found were amino acids, not the common amino acids but their mirror images, d- isomer which a lot of research has shown triggers the break up of a biofilm, especially when the biofilm is stressed by enzymes. The enzymes cause the biofilm to take up the d- form amino acids which then signals the break up of the biofilm. There are 4 amino acids, D-Tyrosine, D-Leucine, D-Tryptophan & D-Methionine and each addition causes increased biofilm break up.

Are you sure? This 2014 article says the previous research showing D-amino acids break up Bacillus subtilis biofilms has been called into question. This article also explains that the original research could not be replicated.

A study found D-aminos do not inhibit Staphylococcus aureus biofilms, and this study found D-aminos does not inhibit Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms.