• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Binding of Glutathione to Enterovirus Capsids Is Essential for Virion Morphogenesis

halcyon

I just came across this interesting paper on PLOS:

Binding of Glutathione to Enterovirus Capsids Is Essential for Virion Morphogenesis

Essentially they found that by using a compound called TP219 they could deplete in vitro cells of glutathione and in doing so they could interfere with encapsidation of several types of enterovirus.

I wonder if this has any implications for folks with enterovirus-related ME/CFS that are doing methylation therapy. Perhaps increasing glutathione is actually helping the virus along. I also wonder if the viral use of glutathione could account for the glutathione deficiency seen in ME/CFS patients.

I don't have the biochemical expertise to address your conjecture, and my experiences are confusing as well: In 2008 Kenny DeMeileir recommended that I take liposomal glutathione, which I did. While I was taking it, everybody in my family got a stomach flu, but I did not.

However, a few years later I got my local gastroenterologist to send my stomach biopsy to Chia's lab. Chia found it to be strongly positive for enteroviral infection.

halcyon

Well, I threw caution to the wind (I was just speculating wildly above) and started taking methylation supplements and undenatured whey as I had low glutathione on the HDRI methylation panel. I've haven't noticed a huge difference from these either way.

What kind of treatment are you currently taking to address the enterovirus infection?

None. I tried undenatured whey many years ago after Cheney promoted it, but all it did was give me bloodshot eyes. I tried Chia's Equilibrant after the biopsy, as well as some antiviral like Valcyte, but got no result. I wish he would prescribe interferon. Back in the 80's I took a homeopathic viral remedy (technically called a "nosode") that made me feel like interferon would, i.e. fever and chills. As the fever and chills resolved, I felt much stronger and practically healthy for a couple of weeks, but then went downhill again. About 12 years ago I got some cultured T cell IV pushes that gave me similar fever and chills, and got some minor temporary benefit.

halcyon

Are you a patient of Dr. Chia? Did you ever have follow up serology to determine which enterovirus(es) you have? Apparently not all serotypes are responsive to Equilibrant. Have you tried inosine at all?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Well, I threw caution to the wind (I was just speculating wildly above) and started taking methylation supplements and undenatured whey as I had low glutathione on the HDRI methylation panel. I've haven't noticed a huge difference from these either way.

What kind of treatment are you currently taking to address the enterovirus infection?

None. I tried undenatured whey many years ago after Cheney promoted it, but all it did was give me bloodshot eyes. I tried Chia's Equilibrant after the biopsy, as well as some antiviral like Valcyte, but got no result. I wish he would prescribe interferon. Back in the 80's I took a homeopathic viral remedy (technically called a "nosode") that made me feel like interferon would, i.e. fever and chills. As the fever and chills resolved, I felt much stronger and practically healthy for a couple of weeks, but then went downhill again. About 12 years ago I got some cultured T cell IV pushes that gave me similar fever and chills, and got some minor temporary benefit.

Just a quick question? Are both of you using "undenatured" or "nondenatured" whey protein?

The reason I ask is that I recently started using whey protein and although I haven't seen a big impact on my ME/CFS symptoms, I did have a significant difference in blood sugar levels between the two. Nondenatured (Well Wisdom Vital Whey Natural) whey protein resulted in lower glucose levels than "Undenatured" BioChem Organic Whey Protein Natural) whey protein.

This change could have also been due to the directions in which Well Wisdom Vital Whey provides as to mixing and consuming their whey protein product.

It could also be due to Well Wisdom Whey protein uses grass fed cow milk as the primary source, instead of being manufactured as secondary product from cheese making process???

Thanks

halcyon

Are both of you using "undenatured" or "nondenatured" whey protein?
I'm using Swanson Ultra Bioactive Whey which is described as being undenatured. I would assume this is the same as nondenatured but I could be wrong.

I mix it with whole milk and have it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I haven't noticed any negative blood sugar effects from it so far.

Are you a patient of Dr. Chia? Did you ever have follow up serology to determine which enterovirus(es) you have? Apparently not all serotypes are responsive to Equilibrant. Have you tried inosine at all?

I have never seen Chia, only did a phone consult with him and a few follow-up emails. He never said anything about serology - does he do this? Never tried inosine.

Just a quick question? Are both of you using "undenatured" or "nondenatured" whey protein?

I don't think I was aware of the distinction when I took it, but I think I took Immunopro.

I'm using Swanson Ultra Bioactive Whey which is described as being undenatured. I would assume this is the same as nondenatured but I could be wrong.

I've read that these are not the same, and that nondenatured is better.

halcyon

I have never seen Chia, only did a phone consult with him and a few follow-up emails. He never said anything about serology - does he do this? Never tried inosine.
He uses an antibody test that can detect six coxsackie B and five echovirus serotypes. If you were positive on the stomach biopsy test that is a more accurate indicator that you have an active infection. Inosine is one of the OTC things that he currently recommends along with Equilibrant. He has also started using Epivir to try to interfere with viral replication.

halcyon

It's a reverse-transcriptase inhibitor normally used for HIV and hepatitis B. I believe Dr. Chia is the only doctor using it for enteroviruses presently.