• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Big Data: An Important Tool for Complex Diseases like ME/CFS

AndyPR

The use of high-throughput technologies, also called “big-data” analysis or “omics” (for genomics, metabolomics, lipidomics, proteomics, etc.) is becoming increasingly useful for researchers across all disciplines of biomedicine. This approach enables comparative, large-scale analysis among conditions (for example disease vs. healthy states, or within subgroups of a disease). It also has other uses, ranging from biomarker discovery to ancestry identification to drug screening purposes to 23andMe genetic testing.

Although not credited on the page itself, I believe Dr. Zaher Nahle posts about big data in ME/CFS research.

http://solvecfs.org/big-data-an-important-tool-for-complex-diseases-like-mecfs/

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Thanks for posting the link, @AndyPR

I wish they'd make some changes to the Solve ME/CFS website (solvecfs.org).

For example, why does this article on big data have no date? (or am I missing it? I tried to look for one)

Big data and the various 'omics fields: genomics, metabolomics, proteomics, transcriptomics, is hugely promising. However I hope that one group (or several groups in close collaboration) can get funding to do these studies on us. Ideally under the umbrella of a research initiative which included or was cognizant of other parts (such as stage of illness, severity, epidemiological concerns etc) *cough* open data-sharing.

Otherwise I think there could be disparate conclusions depending on sample size, laboratory procedures, definition used. In short I think it's hugely promising if done right. :rocket: