• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best way to absorb the B's

alice111

So I'm working my way into fredds (so far the teeny bit I've done seems to be having a good impact which makes me very excited!!! :) ) I'm wondering what the best way is to absorb the b's is ? b12 and folate in particular.

I know there is an oil out of Australia, and then there is the gum method, as well as some other slightly unconventional ones...

Does anyone have advice?

Thanks so much for all your help, I would not have been able to figure out fredds without the generous support from you guys on this forum :)

PennyIA

I can only speak for myself - but I found that the oil from Australia works about ten times better for me than a higher dose of the sublingual held between the gum and cheek. I also have some sensitivty to the tablets and find that if I do too many doses in the same spot on my cheek, it causes issues. I have exceptionally sensitive skin, but haven't had any troubles with the oil. The only 'noticeable' thing (besides the benefits) has been a mild warm sensation for the AdeB12/MeB12 oil. It actually feels good on my always sore calves, so I tend to apply it there since it's a nice side effect.

helen1

There's no issue absorbing B vitamins other than B12. That's the only one that's poorly absorbed by many.

Orally ingested B12 is the least absorbed, so it's recommended to take your B12 either sublingually/subgum, by shots, or transdermally. Many people find the sublingual/subgum ones negatively affect their teeth or gums when kept there for hours as we often do.

The transdermal option has the least hassle and seems very well absorbed and problem free by almost everyone who's tried that method. Of course the shots are even more absorbed but they're a bit more of a hassle.

The australian b12oils have had good reports here and ahmo has made her own b12 oils to good effect from liquid B12 drops mixed with an oil, so you could try either one of those. If you have strong teeth and gums or false teeth lol, you could go subgum. Freddd reports that Enzymatic Therapy brand is the best absorbed of those.

drob31

How do you feel about having high levels of b12? Does this mean it's not being absorbed? I would think that since it's water soluable, it would be excreted if not need, or absorbed if need.

PennyIA

I think that the b vitamins might have some issues depending on genetics (especially methylation defects).

I know that I don't tend to excrete excess b12 because my test results show b12 higher than the highest possible value, yet if I use the b12 oil, I get some relief from my symptoms (the ones that could be classified as typical b12 deficiency symptoms).

I think that in order to be property excretted if there is excess that there also needs to be a proper mechanism that helps make break down the B12 to allow it to be excreted.

Says the person who suffers(ed) from b6 toxicity from taking low dose b6 tablets.

alice111

@knackers323 well I wish I had a solid answer, but like almost everything (for me at least..) it's "up and down" hah.

I haven't been able to move forward much more, but I really do think the tiny amount of methylmateB is having a positive effect. Hope that kind of answers ur question! :)