• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best test for diagnosing SIBO?

anniekim

I've just done a cdsa stool test via dr Myhill (I know metametrix one seems better as tests for anerobic bacteria too). I am waiting for the results. Dr Myhill seems confident to diagnose SIBO if a problem from cdsa test but am wondering whether the lactulose breath test gives a more definitive diagnosis for SIBO? Should I pay out for it as well? Many thanks

lizw118

The metametrix (urine/blood) ion profile test has a section that tests for organic acids in the urine that are bio markers for sibo and candida. That's what clued me into my own sibo. Also, if you have low blood B12 but high folate levels that can be an indication that you might have sibo, because some of the bacteria in the upper gut make excess folic acid. Otherwise I have heard about the hydrogen breath test but I have read that it can get false-positives, so I don't know.
Good luck
Liz

Daffodil

hi anniekim. i had the breath test to diagnose SIBO. it tested for both hydrogen and methane. my doctor, who is a gut expert, recommended the test that uses Quintron equipment and he wanted them to use glucose instead of lactulose (which seems to be usually used), as substrate.

anniekim

Thanks Liz and Daffodil. I think my worry with the cdsa stool test and metametrix one is I wonder how can they identify whether the bacterial overgrowth is in the small intestine or large intestine? The breath test can identify better surely as takes various readings? Daffodil, interesting your doc recommended glucose as substrate..do you know why?

Daffodil

i might call Quintron and ask who in TN uses their breath testing equipment....that clinic will likely have a good doctor..maybe...?