• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best supps for depression other than B12, folate and magnesium?

There are many types of depression & so many routes to curing it.

If you're serious, you need to read a book on the subject such as Julia Ross's "The Mood Cure". She lists lots of supps - chiefly amino acids & NT precursors such as 5HTP, GABA & tyrosine.

But if your thyroid is low, or you have a Mg or Fe deficiency, you'll be depressed because of that - & will need to supplement accordingly. If you suspect these, do tests.

John
(Depressive 1965-2000)

I related to this response as it looked at the basis and starting point of the depression. Taking all the supplements in the world will not help, if at first the basics and underlying causes have not been addressed.

To the OP, I am new 'posting' but been lurking for years. I would suggest you have Urinary Organic acids profile, that will tell you which Neurotransmitters are low and possibly need augmenting. Then as John says read Julia Ross's mood cure which gives many useful suggestions for balancing those deficiencies. However that is best done after balancing and basic deficiencies, enzymes and metabolic pathways.

Oberon

I was on Cipralex and Paxil for several years and found they did nothing for my depression, and at times made it worse due to the emotional numbness being more severe creating symptoms of anhedonia. I also believe my withdrawal from Paxil played a large role in some seemingly long-term issues including fatigue. I mention this to urge caution to others before trialing SSRIs.

Interestingly enough I found that Curcumin seemed to have an anti-depressant property for me when taken, which when looking at it now I see has some clinical studies behind it. I've been taking Meriva Curcumin, but believe Longvida is the one clinically shown to cross the BBB.

http://www.collective-evolution.com...-effective-as-prozac-for-treating-depression/

Other supplements that appear to have helped me with depression is SAMe likely due to methylation issues; L-Tryptophan had no effect. The biggest factor for me more than anything is my digestive system. When I eat poorly and my stomach is inflamed with my IBS acting up it plays a large role in my depression worsening which is quite possibly why Curcumin works for me. Probiotics also has some studies showing it may be effective in treating depression, possibly for the same reason.

Last edited:

Tammy

l-phenylalanine helped my depression but I agree very much with the comments from GoodVibesOnly and Johnmac.

Aerose91

I believe everyone's cause is different but for me Inositol did the trick. Just 1/4 teaspoon at night and it really helped. I would also have to echo fish oil. Be it in capsule form or just seafood.

I was given Prozac and it did nothing except give me withdrawals when I came off. Not saying there isn't a place for meds but I believe you should exhaust other avenues first.